MP40 Durability

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Anyone having durability issues with their MP40s? I bought two of these things in April 2022 and in the 17 months that I have had them, I have had to replace two wet side spindles because the ceramic bearing breaks and the pump starts to rattle like crazy. To their credit, Ecotech has sent me free replacements for both of them but the last time, they were a little difficult about it. Unfortunately, I just had a third one break and I worry they won’t cover it. I clean them religiously every 4-6 weeks using citric acid and warm water. I don’t seem to have this same problem with the MP10 that I have.

Here is what a new one looks like:
IMG_6255.jpeg

And here is what they look like when they break:
IMG_6259.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a number of reports on this recently on R2R which is worrying having 4 x MP40's running (with no issues what so ever!).

I do believe that we only see the bad reports though and that thousands of these are running flawlessly around the world.

Ecotech don't strike me as a company with poor customer service so I wouldn't worry too much. They will sort you out if you have any issues.

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have seen a number of reports on this recently on R2R which is worrying having 4 x MP40's running (with no issues what so ever!).

I do believe that we only see the bad reports though and that thousands of these are running flawlessly around the world.

Ecotech don't strike me as a company with poor customer service so I wouldn't worry too much. They will sort you out if you have any issues.
I agree. They’ve been supportive so far. My concern is that this happens every 4-5 months and at some point, that support will run out and the customer will be stuck holding the bag and shelling out money to replace defective wet sides.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have run flawlessly for 2.5 years. I have never cleaned them or taken them apart. If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. They’ve been supportive so far. My concern is that this happens every 4-5 months and at some point, that support will run out and the customer will be stuck holding the bag and shelling out money to replace defective wet sides.
Sounds like you're unlucky mate.. Fingers crossed, i have not had any issues! I have 4 x MP40 in my large tank and 3 x MP10's in my nano setups - all running flawlessly (so far!) :)

Have a look through the forum from the last week or so- you are clearly not alone!

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a known issue with Vortec pumps. I have had them for years and every single one of them, the wet sides go out over time.

Might be looked at weird but I switched to Jebao pumps, at least for 50 bucks if I can get 2 years out of them I can just toss it and buy a whole new pump vs spending 50 on a new wet side for these.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mode are you running them on? Mine started out as MP20s and were upgraded to MP40s. I had to rebuild them once after about 4-5 years. I have the newer wetside now so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two of my four have been in almost consistent operation since 2018 with no issues. I purchased an extra wet side assembly and every two to three weeks I rotate one out and clean it. I've had zero what side assembly problems other than the gasket up holds the cage in place becoming brittle but that's going to happen salt water.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you clean yours every 4-6 weeks? I have 4 and I clean mine every 4 months or so. I don't even bother soaking it in citric acid. I just brush off the build up of crud. My MP40 dates back to 2018. My only issue is because the glass is so thick, is that sometimes the wetside falls off after a power outtage.

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anyone having durability issues with their MP40s? I bought two of these things in April 2022 and in the 17 months that I have had them, I have had to replace two wet side spindles because the ceramic bearing breaks and the pump starts to rattle like crazy. To their credit, Ecotech has sent me free replacements for both of them but the last time, they were a little difficult about it. Unfortunately, I just had a third one break and I worry they won’t cover it. I clean them religiously every 4-6 weeks using citric acid and warm water. I don’t seem to have this same problem with the MP10 that I have.

Here is what a new one looks like:
IMG_6255.jpeg

And here is what they look like when they break:
IMG_6259.jpeg
I have 8 or more mp-40s running, one that is more than 10 years old and several in the 4-5 year old category and i have never had this happen. I did replace one of the wet sides, can't honestly remember why, could have potentially been this issue as i probably didn't break it down that far. either way i have found them to be very durable and long lasting.

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for (I think) over ten years....long ago that I don't remember. I rarely clean them. Maybe that's the secret!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back