MP40 Quiet Drive not so quiet

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by choss, Dec 30, 2017.

1. choss

choss Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm running an a new MP40 on 1/2" thick glass. It's quite noisy and I have read a few threads about removing the gasket that sits between the dry side and the wet side. Right now I have the medium thickness spacer for 1/4" up to 1/2" thickness. Should I try going to the thinner rubber spacer that is for use on glass over 1/2" thick? Or should I go to no spacer at all?

2. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Go with the thin spacer. You’ll want something to protect the glass on the outside. If there is still noise you may not be completely centered. Start about 50% and go up from there making small adjustments until there is no noise. My MP40WQD is practically dead silent compared to my MP40WES.

3. cilyjr

cilyjr Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365

@ca1ore shared a trick with alinigning the wet side and motor. If you place your hand on the motor and move the Wet Side assembly around slightly you'll notice more vibration on the motor if it is not centered. I run mine at about medium and move it until I feel almost no vibration coming from the motor assembly. It takes some getting used to so I would recommend moving it a little bit and noticing the vibration increasing and decreasing As you move the wet assembly

4. pdisner

pdisner Well-Known Member

Hey has anyone here experienced a. Green flashing LED? Everything stopped on my one 40. It’s not the quiet drive but just previous version. Wireless. I think ES.

5. choss

cool - i was going to go with the thinner spacer but I had read some people having vibrations with this one too and going no spacer. But I'd feel better with the thin spacer.

6. choss

yes I use this trick with my MP10s. I tried it with the wider spacer but just couldn't get the noise level down.

7. choss

So I tested the thinner rubber gasket. I think the noise is not related to vibration but to the noise of the pump motor. Its quiet at 30-40% but at 60+ it is downright loud.

8. mcarroll

mcarroll moved on R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Maybe try a sound meter app on your phone to see how many dB's it's generating? (To compare with readings from someone else, I mean.)

Draft saved Draft deleted