OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so you have the three rubber spacers? And you're using the proper spacer so the only other thing it could be is this not lined up properly so when it's running and you adjust it in the tank until it stops making noise it should be set you shouldn't have any issues. Unless of course something's way out of balance on the west side
Yeah first when it made this noise I figured it was just a matter of alignment. But when I got the power back on in the apartment, after the power break, it started rattling (more like hammering) again and slipped apart (wet side slide off).
This shouldn't happen since it should have been in the same position both when the power broke and got back on.
I unplugged/replugged the mp40 again with one hand on the wetside. But the hammering kept on going even when I tried to align it (almost like I would turn the pump on, and then place the wetside onto the glass, the dry and wet side can't find eachother, and I use the gasket on 12 mm glass)

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be pretty obvious, the dry side would make some serious noise.. but make sure the pump is off and you are perfectly aligned on both sides before you turn back on
Yeah, well, in a power failure the pump turns off and then back on in the same position? This shouldn't make the pump hammer like it did. If I unplug the power to the mp40 and then power back on, the rattling hammering shouldn't happen. But it did

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I have checked the wet side BTW, can't see any damage. Although, two of the plastic strings on the cage is off the center ring.
20210813_200028.jpg

Are you saying that the "spokes" that you have circled are no longer connected to the central disc? IE they have snapped at the connection?

This would 100% causea rattling and likely misalign the wetside on every startup. That central disc holds the shaft in place and in turn the magnet steady. Every time the pump starts up is the most amount of thrust being sent to the magnet and i imagine its not keeping alignment.

Might have misinterpreted what you meant but if those spokes are snapped it can cause the above. Superglue or new wetside if so.

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that the "spokes" that you have circled are no longer connected to the central disc? IE they have snapped at the connection?

This would 100% causea rattling and likely misalign the wetside on every startup. That central disc holds the shaft in place and in turn the magnet steady. Every time the pump starts up is the most amount of thrust being sent to the magnet and i imagine its not keeping alignment.

Might have misinterpreted what you meant but if those spokes are snapped it can cause the above. Superglue or new wetside if so.
Cheers. Spokes. New word for me (not native English as you might have noticed haha), but it has crossed my mind, that those spokes might be the issue. I think two or three of them were loose, the centre ring (which fixates the metallic/ceramic shaft) isn't as fixed as it probably should be.

It doesn't happen on every power switch on/off, but it has happened a couple of times (out of... say ten times).
I'm waiting for another wet side and will check on and off a few times.
Don't know if super glue would do it, such a small area to glue... Maybe need to melt them together, if it's even possible?

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers. Spokes. New word for me (not native English as you might have noticed haha), but it has crossed my mind, that those spokes might be the issue. I think two or three of them were loose, the centre ring (which fixates the metallic/ceramic shaft) isn't as fixed as it probably should be.

It doesn't happen on every power switch on/off, but it has happened a couple of times (out of... say ten times).
I'm waiting for another wet side and will check on and off a few times.
Don't know if super glue would do it, such a small area to glue... Maybe need to melt them together, if it's even possible?
Ha, to be honest, i wasnt/still arent even sure what word to call them.........I have a feeling a new wetside will fix it though.

Ive had it myself when ive accidentally snapped a few of those "spokes" when cleaning too rough and it then means the magnet and shaft are no longer firmly held together. The spokes on the cage almost act like a lid and keep the magnet seated where it needs to be. Any movement on the magnet on start up often means it decouples the dryside.

When your new wetisde turns up and if that fixes the issue give the superglue a go. As much as it seems a small area superglue (GEL) in a saltwater environment is a pretty strong bond. It may save the wetside and give you one to swap briefly when cleaning time comes.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new MP40 wet side, but, disassembled

20210813_161006.jpg
20210813_161026.jpg
20210813_161120.jpg
20210813_161124.jpg

The blue circle is the ceramic shaft, and in the red is were it comes apart, you will see the steel shaft and not ceramic.
20210813_161124.jpg

In order to tear it down, in the below picture, you will see a blue arrow and a red arrow. The blue arrow is the separation between the guard and the propeller housing. Grip the base with one hand and the guard with the other hand. As the red arrow shows, turn the guard clockwise and the base counter clockwise to remove the guard. From there the propeller just pulls off by popping the 3 tabs. Be gentle with the tabs as they are plastic and will break.

20210813_161006.jpg
I actually ruined a wetside by pulling off the ceramic from the metal rod. It needs to stay on and has sealent and lubricant. If the ceramic ever falls off you will have a rattler, spinner, that will cause problems. I recommend having a spare wetside.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back