Mp40 wet side spinning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the other day when I first got it and figured it was spinning because I didn’t have the proper spacer on. Put the spacer on today and it still spins. Spins so fast it yeets itself off of the glass. When I take it out of the water and connect the 2 they are just fine. Any ideas?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the magnet swollen at all? Do you clean it with vinegar? I guess a lot of people ruined theirs that way and the same thing happens. Take it apart and look for any deformities.

OP
OP
C

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that little bit would cause it?

Attachments

• IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 42

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an unfortunate reality for these pumps.

People say that vinegar is the reason for these to swell up. But I have an alternate theory.

These neodymium magnets are extremely brittle and they're encased in a relatively thin barrier of plastic.

When we clean these things we don't consider the strength of the magnet and we often times allow them to slam down onto a metal surface like a sink. All it takes is for the force to be strong enough to crack that magnet and in turn create a small fracture in the plastic that allows water to make contact with the magnet. After that, it's game over.

I have conditioned myself to be extremely mindful of this when cleaning my wetsides with vinegar, after 2 years of this, I have yet to have a swollen magnet. Knock on wood.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an unfortunate reality for these pumps.

People say that vinegar is the reason for these to swell up. But I have an alternate theory.

These neodymium magnets are extremely brittle and they're encased in a relatively thin barrier of plastic.

When we clean these things we don't consider the strength of the magnet and we often times allow them to slam down onto a metal surface like a sink. All it takes is for the force to be strong enough to crack that magnet and in turn create a small fracture in the plastic that allows water to make contact with the magnet. After that, it's game over.

I have conditioned myself to be extremely mindful of this when cleaning my wetsides with vinegar, after 2 years of this, I have yet to have a swollen magnet. Knock on wood.
I honestly don't know how it happens. You could be right. But saltwater getting to the magnet is definitely what does this.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back