Mp40 wet side spinning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the other day when I first got it and figured it was spinning because I didn’t have the proper spacer on. Put the spacer on today and it still spins. Spins so fast it yeets itself off of the glass. When I take it out of the water and connect the 2 they are just fine. Any ideas?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the magnet swollen at all? Do you clean it with vinegar? I guess a lot of people ruined theirs that way and the same thing happens. Take it apart and look for any deformities.

OP
OP
C

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that little bit would cause it?

Attachments

• IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 39

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an unfortunate reality for these pumps.

People say that vinegar is the reason for these to swell up. But I have an alternate theory.

These neodymium magnets are extremely brittle and they're encased in a relatively thin barrier of plastic.

When we clean these things we don't consider the strength of the magnet and we often times allow them to slam down onto a metal surface like a sink. All it takes is for the force to be strong enough to crack that magnet and in turn create a small fracture in the plastic that allows water to make contact with the magnet. After that, it's game over.

I have conditioned myself to be extremely mindful of this when cleaning my wetsides with vinegar, after 2 years of this, I have yet to have a swollen magnet. Knock on wood.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an unfortunate reality for these pumps.

People say that vinegar is the reason for these to swell up. But I have an alternate theory.

These neodymium magnets are extremely brittle and they're encased in a relatively thin barrier of plastic.

When we clean these things we don't consider the strength of the magnet and we often times allow them to slam down onto a metal surface like a sink. All it takes is for the force to be strong enough to crack that magnet and in turn create a small fracture in the plastic that allows water to make contact with the magnet. After that, it's game over.

I have conditioned myself to be extremely mindful of this when cleaning my wetsides with vinegar, after 2 years of this, I have yet to have a swollen magnet. Knock on wood.
I honestly don't know how it happens. You could be right. But saltwater getting to the magnet is definitely what does this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back