Mp40qd dry side motor upgrade?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Westb182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old MP40wES that I upgraded the driver and wetside some years ago to the QD. Recently the motor/dry side started to make some noise and I was thinking of just replacing it (it's many years old, so might as well). I assume I can buy the MP40QD replacement dry side and that should be fine?

OP
OP
W

Westb182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I could upgrade to QD motor and it'll be a full unit (according to that chart)?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes. It would be a full wQD.

The only other difference with the brand new ones is the communication chip:

wQD-->mQD (wireless to mobius)

This requires the black mobius communication chip (old one is green) which has been out of stock for a while. If you are not using mobius (manual control, ecosmart or apex wxm) the new communication chip has no benefit.

Also, not important in your case but for others it may be.... brand new vortechs have been reported to not support firmware downgrade... so they only support mobius at this time (no ecosmart or wxm control).

OP
OP
W

Westb182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It would be a full wQD.

The only other difference with the brand new ones is the communication chip:

wQD-->mQD (wireless to mobius)

This requires the black mobius communication chip (old one is green) which has been out of stock for a while. If you are not using mobius (manual control, ecosmart or apex wxm) the new communication chip has no benefit.

Also, not important in your case but for others it may be.... brand new vortechs have been reported to not support firmware downgrade... so they only support mobius at this time (no ecosmart or wxm control).
Thanks!
I'm using reeflink to control the Vortechs and Radions (which, after they are set, doesn't seem to warrant any reason to modify the parameters). From what I gathered on the forums, mobius doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade to do. So I'll swap out the motor and it'll be good to go.

OP
OP
W

Westb182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all,
I ordered and received those dry side/motors. 10pin, though there are only 5 cables (vs 10 on the old one). But it seems to work just fine. Took just a few minutes to swap out the old ones for the new ones (and I'll hold onto the old ones just in case something happens)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back