Mp40qd dry side motor upgrade?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Westb182
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Westb182

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 24, 2022
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Usa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old MP40wES that I upgraded the driver and wetside some years ago to the QD. Recently the motor/dry side started to make some noise and I was thinking of just replacing it (it's many years old, so might as well). I assume I can buy the MP40QD replacement dry side and that should be fine?
 
So I guess I could upgrade to QD motor and it'll be a full unit (according to that chart)?
 
Yes. It would be a full wQD.

The only other difference with the brand new ones is the communication chip:

wQD-->mQD (wireless to mobius)

This requires the black mobius communication chip (old one is green) which has been out of stock for a while. If you are not using mobius (manual control, ecosmart or apex wxm) the new communication chip has no benefit.

Also, not important in your case but for others it may be.... brand new vortechs have been reported to not support firmware downgrade... so they only support mobius at this time (no ecosmart or wxm control).
 
Yes. It would be a full wQD.

The only other difference with the brand new ones is the communication chip:

wQD-->mQD (wireless to mobius)

This requires the black mobius communication chip (old one is green) which has been out of stock for a while. If you are not using mobius (manual control, ecosmart or apex wxm) the new communication chip has no benefit.

Also, not important in your case but for others it may be.... brand new vortechs have been reported to not support firmware downgrade... so they only support mobius at this time (no ecosmart or wxm control).
Thanks!
I'm using reeflink to control the Vortechs and Radions (which, after they are set, doesn't seem to warrant any reason to modify the parameters). From what I gathered on the forums, mobius doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade to do. So I'll swap out the motor and it'll be good to go.
 
Thanks all,
I ordered and received those dry side/motors. 10pin, though there are only 5 cables (vs 10 on the old one). But it seems to work just fine. Took just a few minutes to swap out the old ones for the new ones (and I'll hold onto the old ones just in case something happens)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new