Mp40qd wet side won’t stay put

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i attempted to hook up my Mp40qd tonight. I placed dry side where I wanted it. Placed wet side to dry side. Plugged it in and the wet side fell to bottom of tank. I picked it up and attempted to hook them both up again. Again it did the same thing. I inspected the wet side and I tired to turn the fans but they seemed to be stuck. I applied little pressure to the back and it freeded up whatever it was. Fans now would spin freely. I attempted to hook up again this time outside the tank. It did nothing. Took wet side off dry side and yup stuck again. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is your aquarium's glass thickness? Do you have the correct spacer installed on the dry side?

As for the blades on the wet side, they should spin relatively easily. Deconstruct the wet side assembly and make sure nothing is catching or incorrectly seated.

I've only experienced the issue you described when glass thickness was too much.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thick glass so I used the gasket one that it came with. It had no problem sticking until I plugged it in
The wet side blades do move smooth now but when I hook up and plug in they seize up.
I’ll look up on YouTube how to disassemble the wet side and see if I see anything that doesn’t appear to be normal

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it apart after watching YouTube clip. Nothing is broken. Everything is aligned. Put back together. Before setting everything up and placing in water I decided to try it out the water. Connected wet side to try side and it did nothing. The fins/blades did not spin at all. They acted like they wanted too. They were trying. Plugged it back up and light on drive would stay green. I could feel something pulsating like it wanted to move. Every few minutes it would shut off and the lights on drive would blink red once then go to white.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you pulled the wetside apart, did you see if the magnet is true and not swollen?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about the issues. Is your aquarium glass thickness within the range rated for the MP40QD? If it is, are you sure that you have the wet and dry sides aligned correctly? If yes to that too, I think your best option is to contact Ecotech's support and explain the issue to them.

It sound like the thickness is too much to survive the start up of the wet side. This happens on one of my tanks where the glass thickness is just enough for an issue to occur.

The wet side will remain attached all day without issue while powered off, but as soon as it's turned on the wetside will potentially fall off into the tank unless it's perfectly aligned with the dry side.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Antics
Sounds like my problem exactly. I’ve measured glass thickness multiple times. It’s 1/2 thick.
I’ve contacted ecotech support. Just waiting to hear back
My issue is like you said when I have it outside the water they both stay together/connected with no problem. Once I put in water this happens. What’s strange is when outside of the water they stay connected but the fans/blades aren’t moving/spinning. I hear it making noise and acting/sounding like it wants to turn but won’t/can’t

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running on constant mode. I had it constantly fall specifically on nutrient export mode. Once I removed that wave pattern never fell again

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope something only 2 months old I wouldn’t have to go through this. Waiting to hear back from ecotech. Something tells me I’m gonna have to send this in. No way in heck paid all this money for one and can only use 1 mode. Seems unfair. Thanks for the heads up and advice though

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope something only 2 months old I wouldn’t have to go through this. Waiting to hear back from ecotech. Something tells me I’m gonna have to send this in. No way in heck paid all this money for one and can only use 1 mode. Seems unfair. Thanks for the heads up and advice though

I control mine through apex wxm I know that nutrient export on reeflink requires a minimum about of time. Maybe that’s why mine would fall. But the other modes work fine not just constant. You are free to try and see what works for your tank

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will try that. I control mine through the apex wxm also. I’m still gonna wind up sending it back either way

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the wxm and have 2 mp40, my glass is 1/2 inch and have no issues staying on. I am assuming you cleaned the glass well and have the thinnest gasket applied. I can run mine in any mode with no problems. Hopefully support can help.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to think the issue is more the wet side. Shouldn’t the blades/fans spin somewhat no matter what? I hook it up I outside the water and fans/blades are not moving at all. Very tight to spin

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back