MP40WQD not recognized in Mobius?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the notification of That legacy is available but when I go in and select legacy device nothing shows up.

I have a MP40WQD about 3 years old. Is there anything I’m missing here?

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you check to see if it has the rf mobius chip? you can check through reeflink if you have that... or you can open up the control box to see.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you check to see if it has the rf mobius chip? you can check through reeflink if you have that... or you can open up the control box to see.

the wireless light is illuminated and it’s the WQD model so it should have the RF chip.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the wireless light is illuminated and it’s the WQD model so it should have the RF chip.
That does not mean it has the mobius bluetooth chip - RF connects to reeflink and other RF pumps. 3 years old you probably don't have it installed. You can check one of three ways:
1) open your controller up and see if it has the black mobius chip set
2) if you have reeflink you will see "Mobius Compatibility" with a "Ready" if it is.
3) do a BLE (can download an app) scan, if your pump is enabled you will be able to pick up a broadcast bluetooth name of ETMBLE

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe I misunderstood - I thought all Wireless QuietDrive pumps were legacy compatible. I don't have ReefLink or anything. The MP40WQD is probably Late 2016/2017 manufacture date. I just did a BLE scanner and don't see that name, so that would explain it!

If I buy new RF chips from the Ecotech part store, will they be ready to go?

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok maybe I misunderstood - I thought all Wireless QuietDrive pumps were legacy compatible. I don't have ReefLink or anything. The MP40WQD is probably Late 2016/2017 manufacture date.

If I buy new RF chips from the Ecotech part store, will they be ready to go?
No, they are all not. They've been making WQD before mobius was a probably even a thought.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are all not. They've been making WQD before mobius was a probably even a thought.

After some more searching, it says "black RF modules" are upgradable. Whats the difference between the black RF ones in stock and that Mobius one that's out? Will the black colored ones not work?

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After some more searching, it says "black RF modules" are upgradable. Whats the difference between the black RF ones in stock and that Mobius one that's out? Will the black colored ones not work?

Regular RF chip sets will not have the bluetooth chip on them that will allow them to connect to your phone/mobius app. Last I checked regular RF chips are green, looks like ETM is just using a stock photo on their website.

You've got the info to figure out what you need to do. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular RF chip sets will not have the bluetooth chip on them that will allow them to connect to your phone/mobius app. Last I checked regular RF chips are green, looks like ETM is just using a stock photo on their website.

You've got the info to figure out what you need to do. Good luck.

Great thanks, its a shame this isn't clear on the Ecotech Website...The FAQ section has nothing on there that talks about what devices are compatible when it talks about "legacy" products so its very confusing.

I'll wait for the Mobius RF modules to get back in stock and then get them. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please provide the 2 separate links to the different rf chips?

When I go to their website I only see 1 option.

I'm curious what the other link is that you speak of.

Both links are in post #7...but I agree I can't find the Mobius one if I manually navigate, but I figured thats because it says out of stock.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both links are in post #7...but I agree I can't find the Mobius one if I manually navigate, but I figured thats because it says out of stock.
And that's what I was trying to figure out. I can't find the $48 one on their site and wonder if
@poidog pasted it from a past thread or something.

The $20 rf chip is the correct one. Ecotech concluded that they were going to provide the mobius ready RF at cost because there were going to be a lot of people in your shoes that needed to upgrade. Sorry for the confusion.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And that's what I was trying to figure out. I can't find the $48 one on their site and wonder if
@poidog pasted it from a past thread or something.

The $20 rf chip is the correct one. Ecotech concluded that they were going to provide the mobius ready RF at cost because there were going to be a lot of people in your shoes that needed to upgrade. Sorry for the confusion.
Nope, I found it on their site using the search.

Good on Ecotech on only charging $20 for the upgrade.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech confirmed the $20 RF module on their site IS COMPATIBLE with Mobius.

His wording was interesting on "QuietDrive" though and I asked whether he meant the wet-side motor must have started as a QuietDrive, or whether he meant just the controller/driver needs to have been upgraded to the QuietDrive (you can't use the white colored controller basically) -- asked to clarify because now I know its just $20, I may upgrade my MP10wES (that I put the QD upgrade on)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech confirmed the $20 RF module on their site IS COMPATIBLE with Mobius.

His wording was interesting on "QuietDrive" though and I asked whether he meant the wet-side motor must have started as a QuietDrive, or whether he meant just the controller/driver needs to have been upgraded to the QuietDrive (you can't use the white colored controller basically) -- asked to clarify because now I know its just $20, I may upgrade my MP10wES (that I put the QD upgrade on)
You're correct, QD references the black drivers. The white drivers are not and cannot be connected to Mobius even if you install the black rf chip.

To further add, there's no difference to the wet or dryside of the wES models, if you upgrade your old MP10wES, all you have to do is get the QD (black) driver that comes with the RF chip.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct, QD references the black drivers. The white drivers are not and cannot be connected to Mobius even if you install the black rf chip.

To further add, there's no difference to the wet or dryside of the wES models, if you upgrade your old MP10wES, all you have to do is get the QD (black) driver that comes with the RF chip.
Perfect, just making sure I don't throw money down the drain due to not researching or asking questions....this hobby is expensive enough as it is!

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I open mobius "Legecy Devices" on the app. I see my mp40s come up. It asks to update them. If I run the update will my vortechs stop having the capability to connect to my wxm?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I open mobius "Legecy Devices" on the app. I see my mp40s come up. It asks to update them. If I run the update will my vortechs stop having the capability to connect to my wxm?

Correct, unless you go through another whole process to downgrade the firmware back to WXM capable.

Really stinks that they are ditching third party compatibility across the product lineup.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back