MP60 wetsides total junk?

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else feel like the newest version of the MP60 wetsides have gone down in quality? I had an original version last me 5+ years without ever having a problem. I went with 4 new ones on my new 600g tank and every single one of them has had major problems in the first 3 months of ownership even though I clean them once a week. I constantly find the ceramic coatings peeled off and balled up inside the wetside housing. I also find that the bearings wear out incredibly fast.

After close inspection and 4 months of use, I can say with confidence my child has fisher price toys that are made to a higher quality than these $800 pumps.

The dry sides feel robust, but the sticky anchors they send to support them are a total joke. Every single one of them has peeled off in the first 4 months. If I didn't go above and beyond and put 3 of the other sticky supports on each pump the dry sides definitely would have fallen to the floor. They should put more $ into engineering a better solution than a $0.04 sticky.

If I could do it over again, I would buy 1 of those German Pants Rhei pumps from UC instead of these 3 Chinese caliber "made in America" pumps. It seems as though all their money goes toward marketing via influencers, and little to none goes toward product improvement. My observation is any in house engineering must be done to drop the company's bottom line by cheapening manufacturing, as opposed to building a better product for the consumer. Hopefully their patent expires soon and other companies get in the external/internal pump market to drive competition. Incredibly disappointed in these. Buyer beware. You've been warned.

Beware the fanboys.

OP
OP
ReefCheef

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. The immediacy at which they offer to send a replacement tells you all you need to know.

they act like they have the world’s greatest customer service, but in reality it’s just a mask for them sending you the cheapest parts possible fully expecting them to break and knowing they’ll need to replace them. The wetsides are clearly “throw away and replace” every few months quality.

OP
OP
ReefCheef

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After begging the rep on the phone to explain what went wrong and how to prevent it from happening in the future, all the guy wanted to do was send replacements. I got 0 advice or guidance. Bummed. $3,000 down the drain.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao ftw. Same ones I started with 4 years later and I never clean them.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After begging the rep on the phone to explain what went wrong and how to prevent it from happening in the future, all the guy wanted to do was send replacements. I got 0 advice or guidance. Bummed. $3,000 down the drain.
Literally, this exact same experience this morning. I had to prompt him to even tell me what the next steps would be....

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. People can't be blamed for making a product for cheaper by the person wanting to make more on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back