Mr. Tocket's Fabulous Reef

Bubbles!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Reef2Reef!

This is one of my favorite forums and has been for a while now, so I decided to quit lurking and join the party!

A little about me and my tank:
I’ve been in the reefing hobby for almost three years now. I’ve loved marine aquariums pretty much since I was a toddler and for the longest time I wanted to own a marine aquarium. Since a marine aquarium wouldn’t be an option for a long while, I contented myself with freshwater aquariums, hermit crabs, and leopard geckos. After a few years and a move to a different state, my parents decided to surprise me with a marine aquarium, bought from one of my dad’s coworkers, for my 16th birthday. To this day, that has been the best birthday present I have ever received!
After getting the tank in mid-May, I spent the summer obsessing over it… and having a panic attack at the slightest irregularity XD To be honest, school starting in August probably saved my tank because I was too busy to have my hands in the water all the time. Nowadays, I’m pretty much the complete opposite of how I was when I first got the tank. Several algae blooms and plagues of aiptasia, as well as a few fish deaths (no coral deaths thankfully *knock on wood*) and some other issues, taught me that the tank really does best when I just let nature do its thing.

Now that I’ve introduced myself and given a bit of background, onto the fun stuff: tank stats and pictures!

Aquarium dimensions:
36” x 18” x 24” inches. Around 65 gallons. (unsure of tank manufacturer. Probably Aqueon.)

Lights:
AquaticLife 36w Expandable LED Light Fixture

Filtration:
110 Gallon rated AquaClear HOB Filter w/Foam block and Activated carbon (Fluval Brand)

Flow:
Wavepuck, runs at 40%
2 Hydro Koralia powerheads (1150 & 425 gph)

Livestock:
Purple-green hammer coral
Purple-green frogspawn coral
Hot pink torch(?) coral
Leather coral (possibly a cabbage leather)
Some zoanthids (no idea what kind)
Purple & green Blastomussas
Green Star Polyps
Assorted algaes (not a lot)
The odd aiptasia
Pods and other assorted microfauna
Brittle stars (not sure how many)

Yes, I do not have any fish. The tank has been running fishless since April, 2020, and to be quite honest, I love it. A coral only tank is so very easy to care for and I’ve seen tons of microfauna pop up that I’d never seen before when I had fish. It’s pretty cool to watch the tank and notice new (albeit rather small) creatures appear and disappear. If I do add fish in the future, I will likely call it good with a few clown gobies... and maybe a Fathead Sunburst Anthias (one of my dream fish) if I'm feeling brave XD

Tank Progression Pics:

5/2018 (when I first got the tank)

65 Procession Pic #1.JPG

6/2018 Reaquascaped

65 Progression Pic #2.JPG

7/2018 Rearranged some corals cuz the anemone was being a punk

65 Progression Pic #3.JPG

9/2018 Algae, algae everywhere :(

65 Progression Pic #4.JPG

3/2019 Reaquascaped again, less algae!

65 Progression Pic #5.JPG

8/2019 Disassembled tank (fish & corals went into a tote), cleaned the crap (literally) out of the rock

65 Progression Pic #6.JPG

3/2020 The 'scape some time after the teardown and rebuild.

65 Progression Pic #7.JPG

9/2020 Most recent picture. I went bare-bottom, reaquascaped, and got some new corals in May, 2020.

65 Progression Pic #8.JPG

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back