MsAmethyst's 1st saltwater tank ever! Biocube29

MsAmethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm Melissa and new to saltwater tanks. I've done freshwater tanks before. I'm in Florida and getting a lot of help from my LFS.

I set up my new Biocube on 06/20/16 with:
Live rock
Live sand- Caribsea Fiji Pink
Saltwater
Took out the stock bioballs

Plans for stocking:
Goby/shrimp
Dottyback
Black Clownfish
CUC
Serpent Sea Star possibly
Some red and blue hermits
Not sure the best snails

I aquascaped wanting no rocks touching the back and lots of crevices. It's very sturdy. I have an idea of where I want this to go.

Not looking to go super crazy with coral. I would love to do in prodominetly purple toned corals.

I'm not sure what upgrades I'm going to do. I have the tank set up bedside on a sturdy table. I'm not wanting to do anything under the tank at this time but more interested in upgrade suggestions for in tank!

image.jpeg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking tank.

Upgrades for a BC can be lights and a mini skimmer that can fit in one of your chambers in the back.
There are a few on the market and I believe we have a sponsor on here that can do a custom light fixture for BC made of LED's.
Not sure who it was but maybe on of the [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] friends can drop a link.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh my second ever double post of the day and ever :mad:

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice cube! ;)

I have not upgraded my lights other than adding the LED strips for which Coralife provides the slots, this setup seems to be sufficient for me, I have Zoas, Acans, Grantis, BTAs, Rock Anemones, mushrooms and everything seems to be growing great.

I too removed my bioballs and currently run NO chemicals in my tank; I have biospheres, filter floss and Aqualife skimmer.
I do 5 gallon bi-weekly water changes and have an ATO (best thing I have bought for my tank)

If I could tell you anything, it would be GO SLOW ... If you think you are going slow, go slower! I lost my 1st tank and it was heart breaking!

Here is my baby! Think I have added a few more plugs since this pic but you get the idea ;)

this one.JPG

Last edited:

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start. I also have a cube as well but mine is dedicated to zoas and palys. I have updated to a refugium with a light (instead of bio balls), a skimmer and a UV sterilizer. I do a 5 gallon water change weekly. I have a clown goby, blue tang, 2 clownfish and several pepermint shrimp. Sorry I don't have a current picture.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice start!

OP
OP
MsAmethyst

MsAmethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to just redo your aquascape over and over because you can't get it right?!

Anyways, I have some fish now. Extreme misbar clownfish and a pink watchman goby.

Clownfish is hosting the return pump outlet. :(

I added a tunze 6015 and the Coralife Protein Skimmer.

Added Trochus and Nassarious snails, and a few more blue hermits.

I think I'm happy with it for now. I've changed my plans on stock.

I'm getting another misbar and doing pipefish.

OP
OP
MsAmethyst

MsAmethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had my first big problem with the tank. Salinity dropped due to an error on my end that I feel incredibly stupid for and the few corals, some snails, and a new seastar.

I have the tiniest mushroom and a leather that survived.

Right before this I redid the aquascape. I added the 8x8x1 block of marine pure to the middle compartment. Added some floss as well.

I took out some of the bulky pieces of live rock and literally hammered them into better shapes.

Letting the system run for awhile before adding corals again.

Also I ditched the Tunze6015. Too strong of a flow. Got the Hydor240. Much better.
In the meantime, what are some good corals for pipefish?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back