Mtk's rsr 350

mtk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am a recovering reef addict that has fallen off the wagon. My addiction started a few years back with a Red Sea Max 250. All in all I liked the tank but always felt limited without a sump but was about to down size to a 4oo sq ft apartment and figured it was not a good time to upgrade. Well thats when everything went down hill. Aptasia took over the tank and without time became a lost case. Well the tank is still up and running just to keep a few fish, lps's and softies alive.. Well are family expanded with our new addition of identical boys on november 18th. We also moved into the house I was born in and after a major reno we are in our two bedroom 840 sq ft house and decided while I still have some money I would like to get a new reef tank and here I am with a list of questions that I would love everyone's opinions on. This tank will be a mixed reef sps,lps and softies with the emphasis on schooling fish like anthias.
I have only one spot to put a tank and this is in front of the center window of a bank of three windows. To avoid going infront of the window on the right or left I have about 52 inch's for a tank. I am thinking of going with a Red Sea Reefer 350 (47 long 21 high 20 wide). My other option is a deep blue 150 that is 48 long 30 high and 24 wide.
Pro's and con's of tank's

Red sea reefer 350 pro's
ultra clear low iron glass.
Ultra quiet overflow.

con's
only 73 gallon
Back of tank is black(infront of a window)

deep blue 150 pro's
150 gallon's
more of a water column to work with.
Back of tank is clear (infront of a window)

con's
Not ultra clear glass
30 inch depth hard to light and work on

So at this time I am leaning towards the Red Sea Reefer 350 but would love to here others thoughts on this.

Lighting
I am thinking of going radions either the xr15w pro or the xr30w pros. I was looking into the kessil 360we but seems from everything I have been reading the radions are slightly better for color, growth and tweaking where the kessils have a better shimmer. My question is what would you recommend for the Red Sea reefer 350? 2 xr30's or three xr15's or what would you recommend. My rockscape will probably be two pillars.

Skimmer
Reef octopus classic 150int 6" internal protein skimmer
From what I have read this should work well for a tank that will eventually be over stocked.

Return pump
Echotech vectra m1
or
DC600 apex ready dc pump-Waveline (1585 gph)
again I have no experience with these but am picking these from what I have read.

I already have a full apex system, 2 mp10's bubble magus dosing pump and a tunze ato from my red sea max.

Please let me know what you think and opinions on gear for this tank.
Thank's
I put this in members tanks as this will be the start of my tank build. If this needs to get moved please do so

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 112 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 124 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back