Multibar Angel Success?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my dream fish since I started keeping saltwater has been the multibar angel, Paracentropyge multifasciata. I had a few back when they were cheap, but I was inexperienced and disease got one, starvation got the other. From the look of things, it seems they rarely (if ever) eat in captivity. Is there anyone here that has had long-term success with them? I'm willing to give a couple more individuals a go, but I hate condemning such a beautiful fish if it's basically impossible (which it can't be, Biota breeds them, right?)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream fish for me too but the ones I see at the LFS don’t eat so I never purchased one. Hoping some come in stock from Biota.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair for more than a year, in a 450g tank with approx 70-80 fish, including 2 dwarf angels… lost when tank seam split …
Good luck finding some, haven’t seen any in awhile, have orders in with a couple of vendors. They do require a more ‘experienced’ reefer.

pretty sure that the pair came from Divers Den
1626218129675.jpeg

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them for years. They need a tank with enough live food in it for them not to have to worry about what you drop in the top. They do really well in my outdoor frag tanks where they can just pick pods off the frag racks all day long. I have had them pair up but not see them spawn. They also seem to do well in groups of 3 or 4.

Dave B

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them for years. They need a tank with enough live food in it for them not to have to worry about what you drop in the top. They do really well in my outdoor frag tanks where they can just pick pods off the frag racks all day long. I have had them pair up but not see them spawn. They also seem to do well in groups of 3 or 4.

Dave B
I read that they like to be in groups awhile ago, but when I tried to get 3 at once they absolutely shredded each other, and that was in a 5 foot tank. Maybe I just got unlucky? Of course that was when they were the same price as most common dwarf angels. Looking for them on websites, the cheapest I found was around 150...

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair for more than a year, in a 450g tank with approx 70-80 fish, including 2 dwarf angels… lost when tank seam split …
Good luck finding some, haven’t seen any in awhile, have orders in with a couple of vendors. They do require a more ‘experienced’ reefer.

1626218129675.jpeg
I actually got one through the store I work at this week, and even though it wasn't cheap. As luck would have it, it appears to be one from the Marshall Islands, with faint yellow bars between it's black ones. From what I've read, they seem to be treated the best in transport and are more likely to survive. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got one through the store I work at this week, and even though it wasn't cheap. As luck would have it, it appears to be one from the Marshall Islands, with faint yellow bars between it's black ones. From what I've read, they seem to be treated the best in transport and are more likely to survive. Wish me luck.
Also, how did you go about getting them to eat prepared foods? Any tricks/specific foods?

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dave B
So you never had any take frozen foods?

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1626218129675.jpeg
Any tricks for getting them on prepared foods?

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want this thread to encourage people to try to keep this fish if they aren't prepared for it by the way, the fish is definitely one of the most difficult I've dealt with in terms of acclimating them to captivity, having had about 5 of them and none of them eating anything. Think twice about it.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want this thread to encourage people to try to keep this fish if they aren't prepared for it by the way, the fish is definitely one of the most difficult I've dealt with in terms of acclimating them to captivity, having had about 5 of them and none of them eating anything. Think twice about it.
Old post but wondering what’s the longest people have kept this fish. It’s a dream fish, I’ve got 3, two were eating frozen and fresh clams but passed after a few months. Seems way harder to keep than a copperband butterfly. I also have a venustus but all he eats is live brine.

Montagne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steve and his Animals

I’ve only attempted one multibar and was able to get it to eat within a few days of arriving by cramming frozen mysis or brine into the caves of a small piece of live rock that it began to recognize as its feeding station. This has also worked for me with the one and only leopard wrasse I’ve ever had, so I’ve either been unusually lucky or it was important for these benthic feeders. Having another gentle benthic feeder in the tank to spur some competitiveness may be helpful too depending on temperament. The multi bar was a Philippines or Indonesian specimen purchased off of reefbeauties.com that arrived with good weight on it.

Unfortunately, I lost the multi bar and several other (including some captive bred) fish about 6 months later to some sort of wasting disease. Unconfirmed, but I think it was probably a fluke variety too small to be seen in a freshwater dip before I had been using a quarantine protocol.

With my lfs’s supply disrupted during COVID and handling/condition seeming to be so important, I'm wary of spending the money on an online vendor and haven’t tried again. Hopefully Biota or my lfs come through and I can add a more successful update in the future, but for now my experience is consistent with them not making it long term, though maybe due to a treatable disease rather than refusing to eat.

Back