cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have a 36 gallon tank approx 25 gallon water volume

I did a 20 % water change yesterday 5 gallons

tested tank parameters and water change water levels adjusted change water to meet tank levels for calcium and alkalinity

tank levels were
460 cal Red Sea pro
11.8 alk RS pro
1600 mag RS pro
nitrate 2 salifert
Phos between 0-.03 Salifert

water change levels
Cal 460
Alk 12.0

temp was within 2 degrees probably identical both tanks and water change water at room temp 80 degrees water (house 75)

Not sure why Mag is so high I got this tank from a reefer 14 days ago and moved it here tested it high that was one of the reasons I was comfortable running another water change is I wanted it to come down slightly have read it’s not a huge issue

I had no issues with the move things looks great within 24 hours

did a water change 5 days ago 20% no issues IO salt no issues afterwards things have looked great

The one yesterday I completed because water change frequency of previous owner was I unknown and there was some bubble algae I was trying to manually remove and and syphon out. Also used IO the same bag as previous water change.

Immediately after completing the change pulsing Xenia shrunk hammer coral slimed and shrunk, 3 BTA shrunk, tricolor acro slimed, star polyps shrunk and looked terrible

i tested tank parameters got same results as the ones listed above so no major shifts of tested elements

tested ph of tank got 8.0 did not test PH of change water or tank prior to water change

water mixed for two hours with an oversized pump lots of movement

last night I thought maybe things were irritated because I did two water changes within 5-6 days of each other maybe a ph issue

Today things didn’t look much better so I changed the carbon in the tank running 4 tablespoons of tropical science previous owner gave me an unopened bag I had 2 tablespoons in there before

I’m used to changing water with a sump this is an older AIO Red Sea 130D

I poured water from the top and broke flow with my hand thinking maybe I hit some the coral with to much flow?

I have been reefing on and off for 18 years have never seen anything like this

what am I missing

pics below

OP
OP
cooltowncorals

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
98192D15-564D-4039-B93C-D126ACD7E365.jpeg

Attachments

• F935EDCF-BB9B-458F-AB7E-609B4E3248B2.jpeg
    F935EDCF-BB9B-458F-AB7E-609B4E3248B2.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 173F1B11-8FA0-4D5F-8201-F8574A8CFBDF.jpeg
    173F1B11-8FA0-4D5F-8201-F8574A8CFBDF.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 88EE6AE4-F6DF-4F88-A404-A4147C621783.jpeg
    88EE6AE4-F6DF-4F88-A404-A4147C621783.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 36
  • C5F50F8C-DFBB-49C4-A259-589425470D74.jpeg
    C5F50F8C-DFBB-49C4-A259-589425470D74.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
cooltowncorals

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago don’t have pictures of everything

Attachments

• 24056B41-270C-42FD-8706-C7F92040C1E1.jpeg
    24056B41-270C-42FD-8706-C7F92040C1E1.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 38
  • CF82EA85-391B-4151-B2BC-4E5AD5B192B1.jpeg
    CF82EA85-391B-4151-B2BC-4E5AD5B192B1.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 42
  • E7F98E8F-F1CF-45ED-BA7E-84E62E466338.jpeg
    E7F98E8F-F1CF-45ED-BA7E-84E62E466338.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 41
  • F885D5AD-BADF-47FE-BD73-9FDE5E671E65.jpeg
    F885D5AD-BADF-47FE-BD73-9FDE5E671E65.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 9732D592-95A8-4511-8FB8-2E60607D72C0.jpeg
    9732D592-95A8-4511-8FB8-2E60607D72C0.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
cooltowncorals

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some coras have looked better today

and my wife said about halfway through day the anemones perked up they look better in photo

haven’t noticed any strange behavior from fish or invertebrates

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understood you correctly, you got the tank and setup used? (including rocks, substrate, aquatic life and water) It’s not clear what state the tank was in when you got it or if you thoroughly cleaned the tank and started fresh.

Your alkalinity and magnesium are both high; alkalinity should be between 7-11dKH and magnesium under 1450ppm. It’s entirely possible you inherited some water (etc.) issues from the previous owner.

OP
OP
cooltowncorals

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is correct I got it in a hurry due to previous owner moving states… like come get it today so no planning ahead

I successfully moved it all livestock corals everything looked good within 24 hours fully extended

waited a few days to do first water change as i wanted things to settle

my plan was to do a couple 20% ish water changes to level things out particularly mag (plus things I mentioned above)

I tested water day after getting tank things were a little wonky

cal 460
Mag 1600
Alk 7.5
Nitrate 5
Pho .3 range

I wanted to run
cal 465
Alk 12.0
Mag 1390
Nitrate 2
Phos around .

so I slowly raised alk over the two weeks between .5 and 1 dkh a day

very confused why 2 IO plain water changes have not lowered magnesium at all but I’ve read on R2R mag high like that not a major issue so I didn’t fret to much about it

regret not testing the salt mix last time but it always ran in 1200 when I used to buy it

All tests kits I bought new from LFS in Phoenix all have good dates on them (good for years)

so I was concerned 2 days ago with Xenia over running tank now it’s shriveled

star polyps look the 2nd worst

hammer branching next

few of the Zoas have been closed for 30 hours

and the truck color acro I had was bright green purple tips extended polyps 2 days ago looks like it’s going to RTN

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is way too high IMO. I accidentally let my alk get over 10 once and I had a few coral that didn't like it. I keep mine in 8-8.5 and all my corals are happy with it.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think raising the Alk like that is probably part of your issue. Why did you raise it up to 12? It was perfectly fine at 7.5 (most people keep it between 8 and 11 just so theres some wiggle room either way (I shoot for 8.5-9), but 7.5 is pretty close to NSW. Instant Ocean does mix on the higher side in terms of Alk, but IME is usually low on Cal and Mag. I don’t think the Mag is your problem. Are you using RODI water (and if so are you checking TDS)?

OP
OP
cooltowncorals

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have continued to search for answers and replaying what occurred during my water change and I left out one detail.

I received a few old power heads/ pumps when I got the tank

one of them fried while aerating the water change water

so obviously I didn’t think much of it when it happened (must be old) switched to a different one.

I started researching the mag drive pumps today to see what they are made up and I didn’t know they were wrapped copper on the inside and that’s how the shaft is driven

I’m now feeling confident that I have gotten copper/containers in my tank from the old pump

I did not use that pump on my first water change

some things have perked back up in last 48 hours zoas some Lps I am/have been running new carbon since incident

but all of my soft corals and acro look not great Xenia looks almost dead star polyps half gone look wilted

have lost a lot of color in one zoa colony turned almost brown in center from a forest green type color

plan tomorrow is to go find a poly filter at a LFS it sounds like they will help

I want to get a new mixing bucket and mixing pump prior to mixing up a water change this will take a few days

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have continued to search for answers and replaying what occurred during my water change and I left out one detail.

I received a few old power heads/ pumps when I got the tank

one of them fried while aerating the water change water

so obviously I didn’t think much of it when it happened (must be old) switched to a different one.

I started researching the mag drive pumps today to see what they are made up and I didn’t know they were wrapped copper on the inside and that’s how the shaft is driven

I’m now feeling confident that I have gotten copper/containers in my tank from the old pump

I did not use that pump on my first water change

some things have perked back up in last 48 hours zoas some Lps I am/have been running new carbon since incident

but all of my soft corals and acro look not great Xenia looks almost dead star polyps half gone look wilted

have lost a lot of color in one zoa colony turned almost brown in center from a forest green type color

plan tomorrow is to go find a poly filter at a LFS it sounds like they will help

I want to get a new mixing bucket and mixing pump prior to mixing up a water change this will take a few days
You can use cuprisorb

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So if I read right, previous owner was using Red Sea Coral Pro salt and you switched to instant ocean plain? That's enough to irritate everything in itself. It's just a major change from what the tank is used to. Not to mention the water source changed from what the tank is used to.

Alk at 11.8, eh isn't bad and won't hurt a thing except help your PH to stay stable.
Magnesium at 1600, just fine too. I run mine at 1500 because hammers and Frogspawn (as well as most other corals) love higher Mag and that hurts absolutely nothing either.
Calcium, you are perfect there too.

You're trying to treat something that isn't there and you're going to destroy everything you have chasing gremlins.

You changed the source water drastically, much too soon and too much volume too soon. You changed salts from the best to to absolute worst. Some will say that has nothing to do with it, but it has a major amount to do with it.

Let everything reset and relax and stop changing. It will all be fine. Your numbers are good and you should keep them there. Get rid of that cheap salt in my opinion.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You changed salts from the best to to absolute worst.

Based on what? Go to a major aquarium and ask them what salt they use.

Not to mention your entire premise is just wrong and destructive. If changing salts was such a big deal, then the majority of coral would die because people put them into new salt all the time when they buy them. A short acclimation period and...somehow they are fine. Yet according to you a few 20% water changes over multiple days is going to cause it?

One of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. Terrible advice.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Based on what? Go to a major aquarium and ask them what salt they use.

Not to mention your entire premise is just wrong and destructive. If changing salts was such a big deal, then the majority of coral would die because people put them into new salt all the time when they buy them. A short acclimation period and...somehow they are fine. Yet according to you a few 20% water changes over multiple days is going to cause it?

One of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. Terrible advice.
Maybe I can explain this to you slowly so you can follow. When you take a system that was raised with RSCP that is packed full of all the nutrients you could need. Then, you change 40 to 60 percent of water using Instant Ocean, that by the way doesn't contain 1/10th of the RSCP salt. Then you get salt shock.

Instead of me wasting time explaining common sense to you, post your tank, would love to see it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can explain this to you slowly so you can follow. When you take a system that was raised with RSCP that is packed full of all the nutrients you could need. Then, you change 40 to 60 percent of water using Instant Ocean, that by the way doesn't contain 1/10th of the RSCP salt. Then you get salt shock.

Instead of me wasting time explaining common sense to you, post your tank, would love to see it.

Once again, that is ridiculous. If that was even remotely true it would be impossible for people to buy coral and put them in a new tank because the salt would be too different.

END OF STORY.

What does my tank have to do with it? You think you are going to tank shame me or something? Pretty much highlights the low level of thinking you are providing here.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Take a hike small fry. I have forgotten more than you will ever know about reefing and chemistry.

Best of luck to you junior.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a hike small fry. I have forgotten more than you will ever know about reefing and chemistry.

Best of luck to you junior.

So tell me what magic all the coral sellers use to get their frags to live in their customers tank. All those different salts, different salinity, different parameters, etc.

Or is that part of what you've forgotten?

I've been in the hobby for more than a decade and have multiple tanks. You can debate which salts are better all you want, I don't care how you waste your money. Personally I don't do water changes on my 180g and maintain my chemistry with dosing and nutrients under control with algae growth.

Trying to shame me isn't going to get you anywhere because I will still be here pointing out how ridiculous your claim is.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's keep this friendly. This is a thread where the op is looking for help. Thank you for your contributions but please keep it civil.

OP
OP
cooltowncorals

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a misunderstanding along the way in there

I used IO

I don’t know what previous owner used I would guess something similar.

I got it from LFS didn’t want to pay markup on Red Sea need to order some.

I’ve been reefing for 20 years have never heard of salt shock

I really think it was the broken pump that leaked metals into the water change water

looking back should have trashed the WC water

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back