Multiple Cowfish

breed92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I currently have a small cowfish, that is doing great. But I wanted to see if anyone knows if you can have two cowfish in the same tank? Will they fight, or are they generally friendly to one another?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I buy them in pairs. But I have successfully added a second clown to a tank.

They are territorial by nature and you may see some fighting. In the end, anything could happen.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see an issue with there being more then one in a tank as long as there is enough food. They are slow eaters and usually best kept from more aggressive types. A word of caution. They can nuke a tank. They will secret a toxin if threatened or stressed.

OP
OP
breed92

breed92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see an issue with there being more then one in a tank as long as there is enough food. They are slow eaters and usually best kept from more aggressive types. A word of caution. They can nuke a tank. They will secret a toxin if threatened or stressed.
Thank you! My lfs had another that was very similar in size and I was tempted to purchase it yesterday, but wasn’t sure if it was safe to house two of these together or not.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I buy them in pairs. But I have successfully added a second clown to a tank.

They are territorial by nature and you may see some fighting. In the end, anything could happen.

Op is talking about cowfish by the way, not clownfish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I base my captive environment based on their lifestyle in the wild. Juvi's will be found in groups, but adults are solitary and territorial. Which to me means they may get along as juvi's but when they mature there may be a problem. Most people try and keep cowfish in tanks way too small, a single cowfish will need at least a 180g, so more than one I will likely need something much larger. Don't be misled by people keeping more than one juvi for several months as success.

OP
OP
breed92

breed92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I base my captive environment based on their lifestyle in the wild. Juvi's will be found in groups, but adults are solitary and territorial. Which to me means they may get along as juvi's but when they mature there may be a problem. Most people try and keep cowfish in tanks way too small, a single cowfish will need at least a 180g, so more than one I will likely need something much larger. Don't be misled by people keeping more than one juvi for several months as success.
Thank you!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back