Multiple diamond gobies???

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So interesting story, my wife's favorite fishis a Diamond Goby and so we MUST always have a diamond goby in the tank. Well we lost our first one to an unfortunate carpet surfing accident. So off to the LFS we go to acquire another one. Acclimated it and placed it in our tank only to "never" see it again.

Two weeks later my wife and I give up hope that it had made it and thought we had lost it. Or sandbed was also in dire need of a hard working goby. So off to the LFS yet again to replace a 2nd diamond goby.....

Well low and behold three days after introducing the 3rd goby into the tank we finally see the 2nd goby in the tank. The 2nd goby had burrowed himself for at least 3 weeks and now is out and about working hard.

My question is will the coexist?? I have a 240DT. They have their burrows on opposite ends of the tank for now, just wondering how long this will last or if i should expect to see some jarring at each other at some point?

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i remember reading some where if they are on separate sides they should be okay especially in that big of tank

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. Diamond gobies are usually eager to form prs. If they pr up you'll be fine.

If they don't pr up they can be quite territorial to one another. Resources will dictate the size of territory and the degree of aggression. But even in large tanks one may dominate the other to its demise.

OP
OP
aherre07

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely keep this updated. They are going 2 weeks in the tank together so not really a fair amount of time to tell if they have noticed each other or if they have already set boundaries.

About them pairing up anyway to know if I have males, females or one of each?? One of the 2 is clearly much larger than the other not sure if that helps any.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any surefire way of sexing them. Usually if they are both small or one is small and the other large they will pr. Whereas 2 large indivuals are less likely to pr.

OP
OP
aherre07

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update all still seems well. They are very well aware of each other. I swee them this afternoon have a little stand off as they open their mouths to show each other whose boss and then went back to their respective burrows. The smaller did cross the boundary of you will and no major charging/ chasing from the bigger one. Not sure if this is the beginning of the turf war or match made in heaven. Will be interesting to continue to watch and see how this plays out.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first diamond goby today from the LFS. It is in my QT with lots of PVC pipes. I don't have copper in there yet, just a lot of caulerpa macro algae and a dusting of aged live sand. After reading this thread and seeing the picture above I am excited to get a second diamond goby, a smaller one if possible. It would be very cool to see them ultimately swimming and sifting sand together in my 120 gal reef. Also, glad to hear that they might burrow and remain out of sight for long periods of time -- this would have had me worried. I don't might cloudy water -- it reminds me of my teenage years snorkeling in the Florida Keys when the tidal current was ripping. Valuable thread, this one!

N2SMILZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190307_224314.jpg 20190307_224619.jpg 20190307_224314.jpg 20190307_224619.jpg

N2SMILZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got up this morning and both were in the den they had made.

demonspeedn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in my 220g. One is large, the other is much smaller. The larger one chases the smaller one whenever it is in eyesight. They don't fight, just don't hang out together.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back