Multiple fire fish

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how many of you guys are keeping multiple fire fish successfully.

When I first looking into the mass consensus was to keep them solo. I read some members saying that multiple could be kept together. I pulled the trigger and picked up 3 nice purples from my LFS. They were always front and center and always as a trio.

I hadn't seen them for a period of time, recently, so I feared they had perished. Just recently I noticed them coming out just before lights out, exploring the tank. Now they are coming out several.houre before lights out.

Not sure when they became more reclusive. Thinking back it may have been around the time I added my sleeper goby, although I have never seen an aggression between them.

I am.happy to see the trio is alive and well. They all live in the same cave and usually still hang as a trio. Sometimes it's a pair with the third crushing around on his own.

It's been just over a year now that these guys have been together.

Anyone else?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's excellent. When I've tried to keep more than one, they have fought to the death.

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's excellent. When I've tried to keep more than one, they have fought to the death.
Thata a shame. Bummer when stuff can be case by case as you don't want to just kill off your fish. A decent size group of them would look awesome.

What size tank did you try?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thata a shame. Bummer when stuff can be case by case as you don't want to just kill off your fish. A decent size group of them would look awesome.

What size tank did you try?

Plenty big, 100 circulating gallons.
Got 3. Despite lots of room, they all went to one corner where they started to bicker.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 in a 10g QT right now. They have been in QT for 6 weeks. 2 are regular Fire Fish and the 3rd is a purple. The 2 regular ones stay on the left side and the Purple stays on the right. Once in a while the purple will chase the others but for the most part they get along fine.

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 3 in a 10g QT right now. They have been in QT for 6 weeks. 2 are regular Fire Fish and the 3rd is a purple. The 2 regular ones stay on the left side and the Purple stays on the right. Once in a while the purple will chase the others but for the most part they get along fine.
Cool interested to see how they do

For the longest time the 3 would all stay side by side just swimming into the current in their favorite spot

Now they will explore the tank much more

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool interested to see how they do

For the longest time the 3 would all stay side by side just swimming into the current in their favorite spot

Now they will explore the tank much more

They have had worms that I’ve been trying to cure them with plus the 30 day copper thing. Today I started to take them out of copper.. just in time too. The two regular ones seem to have some fin rot. So started treating with Furan-2.

in the mean time they have been getting a special blend of food to fight the worms.

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have had worms that I’ve been trying to cure them with plus the 30 day copper thing. Today I started to take them out of copper.. just in time too. The two regular ones seem to have some fin rot. So started treating with Furan-2.

in the mean time they have been getting a special blend of food to fight the worms.
Man that's a bummer. At least it sounds like you know what you are doing there. Hope they do well. I was fortunate to get 3 very healthy ones

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say I know what I’m doing.. one had worms when I started the QT.. now all three are dealing with them.. darn things keep trying to eat each others poop. Just transfer it around..

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say I know what I’m doing.. one had worms when I started the QT.. now all three are dealing with them.. darn things keep trying to eat each others poop. Just transfer it around..
Fish are weird lol. My foxface is the resident poop eater in my tank

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 2 for the longest time, stayed near the top of the tank with the other fast moving fish like green chromis and never seemed to mind.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Mine are usually low to mid tank and don't seem to like when a tang or something darts by lol
They never really had any fear, were supposedly captive breed.

20191010_204706.jpg

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red and a helfrichi together in my 90; they were very tightly bonded. Unfortunately, the helfrichi passed away yesterday,

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back