Multiple Heaters controlled by Apex

Dave Bentley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here. Ordered the Apex, now I need heater(s). My 180gal (DT + sump) supposedly required a 600watt heater. I've also read and agree that multiple/backup heaters are the safe option in case of failure. What's the best method for wiring up the heater(s) to the Apex?:

1. Connect the Main (600watt) heater to the Apex, and have an independent backup (300watt) heater with thermostat in the sump set 1 degree warmer?
2. Have 2 or 3 heaters plugged into a power strip, then the power strip plugged into the Apex heater outlet, so the Apex controls them all as one?
3. Any other configuration I hadn't thought of?

Thanks!

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS 600-watt system which comprises an Inkbird 306 controller and a pair of 300-watt Schego (German) titanium heaters. Inkbird monitors the temperature and toggles the heaters on/off with the Apex as a failsafe if the heaters ever get stuck on.

Then a third heater (I use a 500-watt Hygger) controlled independently from the Apex as an emergency backup only. If you decide to go this route just PM me and I'll give you all the settings and Apex configuration. I use this setup on my Red Sea 200-gallon system and it runs flawlessly.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back