Multiple smaller heaters (watts) are better than one larger one! Do you agree?

Do you believe that multiple smaller watt heaters are better than one larger watt one?

• YES

Votes: 538 69.5%
  • NO

Votes: 96 12.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 124 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With it starting to turn cold for many of us let's talk about heaters. More specifically let's talk about the belief that multiple smaller watt heaters are better than one larger watt one. I believe this to be true. So why and what's the thinking behind this? Well the idea is that if one big heater fails then you could lose your whole tank but if one smaller heater fails there is more room for forgiveness. Let's talk about it today!

1. Do you believe that multiple smaller watt heaters are better than one larger watt one?

2. How many heaters are you running (watts) and how many gallons are you heating?

MULTIPLE HEATERS.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! For me the best reasons....1) If one of them fails in the "off" function the other will prevent catastrophic cooling till the issue can be recognized and addressed. 2) If one large heater fails in the "on" function.....which is not uncommon, an even more disastrous over heating can be avoided.

It's not a matter of if your heater will fail, it's a matter of when. You can replace them more often when they are still working ok to try to avoid problems but for me two smaller heaters is the best solution.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like using multiple small heaters because it allows me to optimize them. I have my apex turn on one of three 75 watt heaters at 0.3 degree intervals to simulate having variable power to adjust to colder/warmer weather. So instead of one big heater cycling on and off, my heaters just stay on or stay off. Really reduces the number of cycles on the heaters/apex.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm your huckleberry :D

One heater, chosen carefully, as a component of a system that can detect failures and prevent disaster, is quite sufficient.

I've got a 500w Finex TH series titanium heater, no built in thermostat, running on a Bayite heater controller, plugged into my Apex which has it's own temp probes. Any variance outside of my 0.5f range gets me an audible alarm, along with an email. High temp on either of the Apex's probes will cut the power to the Bayite controller, and alarm.

I keep an extra heater controller, and an extra heater tube on the shelf, and swap both items out every other year.

I truly wish _someone_ would make a reliable heater. When BRS introduced their own branded titanium heater and rebranded Inkbird a while back, I was hopeful... bought a set immediately. The new heater tube lasted 8 months, and the Inkbird's minimum range is 1f... insufficient as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, BRS sent me another one, which is on my shelf, but reliable? Not so much.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 300w titanium heater. When that malfunctions I will then replace with two smaller ones. I have a 180 gallon and it doesn't change temp in any direction quickly.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes and no (see 2a).
2. I'm running a pair of Schego 300-watt titanium heaters with an Inkbird to heat a total system volume of 200 gallons, and this seems to be really efficient.
2a. I also have a backup 500-watter Hygger titanium heater that can provide enough heating if either or both of the primary heaters fail -or- in an emergency augment the pair of 300-watt heaters to provide 1100-watts of total heating (useful after an extended power outage).

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Hydros controller to have a primary heater and a secondary heater in case of failure. Both are housing in the main compartment of my AIO tank. In theory, either could heat on its own, but I like having the backup, especially going into winter

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 smaller heaters on my 125. My heaters are very old, probably decades and I am sure they were cheap. For some reason I don't seem to have problems with heaters. :cool:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3-4 heaters (200 or 300 watts each) plugged into an outlet strip plugged into an Inkbird. The outlet strip also gives me an off switch If I need to handle the heaters. 1000 w heating 400 gallons. This is not enough to hold system temp if the house gets cold like during an extended power outage. That shouldn't be a problem anymore with the whole house generator though.
If they fail always on the Inkbird still runs them. If one dies the system slowly goes down in temp and I find it and change it. I just keep a few spares on the shelf.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am using one 100 watt heater to heat my 100 gallon tank. There is a 200 watt hooked up to a second controller that will turn on if that one can not keep up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s always been my belief that one big heater will heat water quicker and work less to heat environment and also save on wattage use

sb__78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have 4 heaters back when I had a 200Gal Malawi setup. Great redundancy esp when my heaters only failed in winter. I only have a nano reef now so I use only one heater but have a backup just in case. That's only because I don't want two ugly heaters in the disp. If I had aio or sump then I would have TWO

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we really have to be worried about a titanium heaters failing? Especially with external thermostats? I have to run multiple heaters because of the size of my tanks and because the largest heater I can get on brs is only 800w.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using multiple small heaters because it allows me to optimize them. I have my apex turn on one of three 75 watt heaters at 0.3 degree intervals to simulate having variable power to adjust to colder/warmer weather. So instead of one big heater cycling on and off, my heaters just stay on or stay off. Really reduces the number of cycles on the heaters/apex.
Good post! Exactly my strategy and reasons for doing so.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always been my belief that one big heater will heat water quicker and work less to heat environment and also save on wattage use
This is certainly true. :)

I am not trying to make clam chowder so I don't worry about how long my heater takes to heat the water. If all is going well my tank should stay at the right temperature but if I see ice cubes floating, I will definitely look for one big heater. :rolleyes:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "other" because I think it depends on how much water you have to heat. For me, I probably don't need multiple smaller heaters for a 5g but I am thinking of getting another one for redundancy. If you have a large volume of water then multiple heaters might make for a more even distribution of heat which, IMO, is better and might make for less cycling on/off that could come with just one super heater (less wear).

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Certainly in a Jumbo sized tank I would want 2 or more but I think for any tank 150 gallons or lessish there is already so many cables your dealing with its insane.
The increasing risk of blowing a circuit/fire/etc outweighs the risk of heater malfunction. My house stays 65-75ish year round so unless one gets stuck on nothings going to start dying immediately.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is certainly true. :)

I am not trying to make clam chowder so I don't worry about how long my heater takes to heat the water. If all is going well my tank should stay at the right temperature but if I see ice cubes floating, I will definitely look for one big heater. :rolleyes:
Any reasoning behind this? Unless there's an ac adapter or something unsubmerged, all heaters should be 100% efficient regardless of size.

Edit: maybe inductive heaters could be leaking but I think most aquarium heaters are resistive

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 heaters in each of my tanks, but they are not smaller, but for redundancy run off my apex.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back