Multiple Toby Puffers?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have experience keeping multiple toby puffers of the same species in the same tank? I recently got two leopard tobies (Canthigaster leoparda) after looking for them for years.

After a quick glance on google, it seems like tobies are gonochoristic (like all other puffers) and live in territory-oriented harems. The males have large territories that envelope the females' territories; any females in his territory he will mate with (and tolerate, I assume). Of course, sexing puffers is generally thought to be impossible visually, although I have read about some visual difference in Valentini toby sexes.

They both look healthy, no visible disease but I'm QTing anyway. I have them in separate acclimation boxes and plan to let them out into the 40g QT tank in the morning, just figured I'd ask if anyone has any experience.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0952B54A-782C-434B-B9D4-2D758A4569E5.jpeg

I once kept two of them in this 6’ shallow (10” of water) frag tank, without a problem, if that helps. They stayed separated from one another. One was introduced well after the other. Best wishes.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0952B54A-782C-434B-B9D4-2D758A4569E5.jpeg

I once kept two of them in this 6’ shallow (10” of water) frag tank, without a problem, if that helps. They stayed separated from one another. One was introduced well after the other. Best wishes.
Interesting, I wonder if the leopards being smaller and supposedly more docile makes a difference. Thanks for sharing!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back