Muraena Melanotis

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my lfs today and they had a muraena melanotis eel. It was very beautiful, the staff assured me that it would be a good fit for my 75 gallon tank but I passed since I don’t know anything about this fish (and mainly because it was $1200...)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have experience with these eels? Information on them is very scarce, all I can find is that they typically grow around a meter long.

2462612A-2FB4-4456-A91F-C5EF297C7D16.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a gorgeous eel, the $1200 price tag is steep, but not really out of line. You will rarely see this eel in captivity. In relationship, you could call this a larger version of the jeweled eel. So you can relate what you know about the jeweled eel, and add about a foot to a foot and half of length; and some added girth. A 125g would be better for this eel, and really no fish in that size tank. If you wanted to add fish with this eel, it would need to be in a tank large enough for triggers and large angels. no wimpy bluejaws.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, it sounds like a really cool fish. Too bad I don’t have the space or money to keep one. What struck me the most was how thick it was, it was only maybe 18” but was thicker than any eel i’ve ever seen at that size.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 133 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back