Murdering Vermetids

CaseyWagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some vermetids pop up and I have no idea where they arrived from.
I found them when putting new coral in the tank recently and the couple of existing frags I'd had in there never showed any sign of them.

The rock I have in the tank I got from someone who had vermetids a few years ago, but he'd stored the rocks outside for a couple of years. Don't think they'd have survived that :D

Anyway, I was planning on changing some scape and was wondering if just pulling rock and throwing it in fresh water for a time would do the job of murdering the little pests. After it's purged it would just go back in the sump.
Some of them I can glue shut but I don't think I'll be able to reach all of them by hand.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some vermetids pop up and I have no idea where they arrived from.
I found them when putting new coral in the tank recently and the couple of existing frags I'd had in there never showed any sign of them.

The rock I have in the tank I got from someone who had vermetids a few years ago, but he'd stored the rocks outside for a couple of years. Don't think they'd have survived that :D

Anyway, I was planning on changing some scape and was wondering if just pulling rock and throwing it in fresh water for a time would do the job of murdering the little pests. After it's purged it would just go back in the sump.
Some of them I can glue shut but I don't think I'll be able to reach all of them by hand.
A dab of super glue on the openings will render them useless. In my opinion that is easier and better for the tank than treating a whole rock. if you take the rock out all you need is a tiny dab on each opening and they will be sealed in for good.
Vermetid are also likely to survive fresh water for some time. Those pests can survive quite a bit, but not glue.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I was just working in my tank and glued two shut today. I thought one tube wasn’t alive and he startled me. I’ve never actually seen one before. They’re the big kind, there’s only 2, I typically leave them alone but I had a busted tube of Superglue so I took the opportunity to shut them in. The little ones can get out of control quickly.

I’m new to the forum but not new to reefing. I have never really found freshwater dips to be super effective. These types of creatures (hitchhikers and pests) seem to be able to survive a lot. Maybe a coralRX dip or something?

OP
OP
CaseyWagner

CaseyWagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some small rocks that I can mostly glue, but have a few I probably can't reach, and since I have an empty freshwater quarantine tank I'd considered throwing rock that I can't reach it all on in there for a month.

Hopefully I can get all the little pointy pests on the centerpiece rock I have in the tank, because it's not coming out.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some small rocks that I can mostly glue, but have a few I probably can't reach, and since I have an empty freshwater quarantine tank I'd considered throwing rock that I can't reach it all on in there for a month.

Hopefully I can get all the little pointy pests on the centerpiece rock I have in the tank, because it's not coming out.
Just put them out in the sun for a month.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back