Mushroom coral won’t grow

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have 3 different types of mushroom coral. One of them I bought little over a year ago and the other two about 2.5 months ago. The newer one exploded in growth and produced babies but the first one I bought never grew and never had any babies. Anyone know why this happens? They are right next to each other in the tank.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some ricordia that spread like crazy the first month I had them and then just stopped. It's been 8 years since they sprouted another mushroom.
I honestly was happy about it but would be curious if anyone knows why.
My test numbers are all over the place but I keep my tank around 78 because my flower anemones like it better at that temp. Maybe the shrooms don't like the high ish temps.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u feed them? i had 2 farnkensteins deliverd closely together. One wouldnt eat and didnt grow! The other one ate and grew bigger then the other which was bigger when I got them! I thought maybe it could close up to eat since it hadn't attached yet. BUT I have some now that eat and grow like crazy and arent attached!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 3 different types of mushroom coral. One of them I bought little over a year ago and the other two about 2.5 months ago. The newer one exploded in growth and produced babies but the first one I bought never grew and never had any babies. Anyone know why this happens? They are right next to each other in the tank.
I had a small rock of a bumpy type of green discoma, never really took off and once the green striped discomas got on the rock, the other ones disappeared never to be seen again. My red discomas took a long time to take off, but when they did, they displaced the green striped ones.

Considering they can be invasive and sting certain corals, I bet there is something going on between them, even though they appear to be getting along.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s unclear to me as well — my red mushroom used to grow like mad to a point that they killed other corals. I’ve given most of them away but kept two. It’s been 8+ months and these two haven’t made any babies. During the same period, the Sunkist Bounce mushrooms several inches away produced 3+ babies! lol

Attachments

• IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 18

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back