Mushroom help!

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mushrooms have been acting weird since I got a new light and moved them around. The light is now stronger and they are in more flow. I thought that could be the problem but my other mushrooms were doing fine and now they all appear to be struggling. They all have their mouths extended and open, anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All seems well! If your Zoanthids and shrooms were closed up, I would say that your light is too intense, or their is an inadequacy of nutrients in your water. On the contrary, if you Zoanthids and mushrooms were fully expanded it could mean that your lights we subdued and have to have a higher light intensity. Also, after performing a water change you will notice that many mushrooms, especially will have a long stalk and their heads will be huge. This is because you got rid of a lot of dissolved organic nutrients that these animals require.
All in all, they look great...keep up the great work!

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be chemistry related, what's your alk at? Adding more light plus nutrient/chemistry swings can make these guys upset.
Hm that's a good question. I'll be honest, I never check. I can go to my LFS tomorrow with a water sample and get it checked. All I have are the test strips and they are hard to read

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you get more coral growth investing in some test kits can be handy my friend. Salifert makes nice easy to use kits. I'd test just the big three- alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Alkalinity was checked more often than the others. I wouldn't make sudden changes though, I'm sure they need to acclimate.

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you get more coral growth investing in some test kits can be handy my friend. Salifert makes nice easy to use kits. I'd test just the big three- alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Alkalinity was checked more often than the others. I wouldn't make sudden changes though, I'm sure they need to acclimate.
Thank you! I'll check them out as soon as possible and let you know

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back