Mushroom splitting, or should I be concerned?

Ezeric123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this mushroom now for about 8 months and the other day it started to look like it was forming two semi-circles, or from what I've witnessed in the past, about to split into two. However, now the mouth started to separate and you can see its "stomach" or mesenterial filaments. I have the mushroom on a clear piece of acrylic, and you can now see through the mouth. It still seems to be rather healthy though. Generally if it looks stressed, it shrinks up and looses a lot of its "bounce". If anyone has any insight, please let me know. Here are two time lapse videos of what its doing currently. Thanks.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this mushroom now for about 8 months and the other day it started to look like it was forming two semi-circles, or from what I've witnessed in the past, about to split into two. However, now the mouth started to separate and you can see its "stomach" or mesenterial filaments. I have the mushroom on a clear piece of acrylic, and you can now see through the mouth. It still seems to be rather healthy though. Generally if it looks stressed, it shrinks up and looses a lot of its "bounce". If anyone has any insight, please let me know. Here are two time lapse videos of what its doing currently. Thanks.

Youre fine, mushroom is definitely splitting :) Congrats on that! But do keep an eye for anything else and what you said about the mouth

OP
OP
E

Ezeric123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre fine, mushroom is definitely splitting :) Congrats on that! But do keep an eye for anything else and what you said about the mouth
Ok, cool. That's what I assumed, but I figured I better be safe and ask just in case anything was wrong. I've only had shrooms drop babies or form two mouths and then split in the past. Thanks!

OP
OP
E

Ezeric123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. it seems to have had a strange split, but I'm not too mad about it...
Screenshot_20190828-182041_Gallery.jpg

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mushroom that had only been in my tank for a couple of weeks do this weird twisting thing and it ended up pulling itself off of the rock it was on and floating around, what was left on the rock turned into another mushroom. I ended up putting the OG one in a holder until it attached to a rock. I have never seen them do this before.

chyeaboy2007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did these make out because mine did this but into 3 and are have started too look like I think they are healing.

16696572063176938669563230744846.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back