Mushrooms and peroxide

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be moving my mushroom rock into a new tank soon but didn't want to introduce any algae that's in the QT tank. Is it safe to put mushrooms in a peroxide bath? I've done it with lots of other corals...just wasn't sure about mushrooms.

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will slime like the dickens but I have done it they are not fans at all. I would never do any expensive ones. How much algae is on the rock and how big is the rock? It would be really hard to rinse out a big piece enough to put it back in anytime soon.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is a little bigger than a baseball. In the old tank I had issues with a bright green algae that would cover everything and I could never get rid of it. There's a little of it in the QT that I'm trying to avoid getting into the new tank.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do a bath, You have to do it like a surgeon. Scrape the rocks clean (out of the tank) to get the bulk off. I would use a q-tip with the peroxide near the mushroom. Then rinse with fresh water. It's basically part of the rip clean/sand bed rinse procedure.

@brandon429 has a ton of experience with this (check out his thread) and can provided insight on the more delicate corals when it comes to H2O2 cleaning

DaAznGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Definitely don’t do a bath. Tried that on some mushrooms and it really affects the tissue. Takes quite a while for them to recover. The q tip option should work great. You can also box in a hermit crab near the mushroom to force him to clean up. Something to try

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that size I would Annoy the shrooms closed and use a tooth brush to remove as much as you can then brush on the peroxide with a paint brush being careful not to over saturate the rock or get the shrooms then rinse it good.

Back