Mushrooms dying??

Jsusisaliv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mushrooms are all sudden dying and they used to be big and lively! I just kinda noticed it and could have been happening for a while.. I've been fighting green hair alage and using phosphate RX. Would this have anything to do with it? My water checks good except ph is a little high. I'm doing water changes first fat but it's been high before and I've never had that problem. I also put in a new LED light from reefbreeders. It's pretty powerful but the highest I have it is 75% for about an hour. The rest of the time is 50% or less for 10 hrs a day. Any ideas?

image.jpeg

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check phosphates and nitrates. Whenever you have algae let any more chemicals be the last resorts. You don't want to add any chemicals that shouldn't be added.

daalbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn your lights down more. i would say 50%max. I think way to much light see if they start coming back.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you haven't changed your lighting, so it's not that. Mushrooms need dirtier water than SPSs, etc. Your phosphate remover is the issue. I can just about kill my mushrooms and zoas with GFO. Of course, now I don't have a phosphate or algae problem because I keep my nights above 0 ppm. I now keep them at 1-3 ppm and I dose phosphate to keep it 0.02 - 0.05 ppm. My zoas and mushrooms love life. My algae disappeared!

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they're dying. Most likely light shock. Cut back the intensity quite a bit and SLOWLY ramp it up over the course of a month or so. I'm going through the same thing. I went from MH to LED and while the light may not look as bright to our eyes it's a lot more powerful than you think.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back