Musou Black Paint

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just a bit curious on your thoughts. I work at a fish store and have been to a few other stores who have very specific styles… a ton of stores do wood grain or just piece together everything from multiple styles because that is all they can get.
My shop is known for white paint everywhere and everyone synonymously says we are very clean and a favorite. After being there a year and seeing how this has an effect on people and what they think about our presentation I had the thought of a store based in black.
(Not everything however the majority of stand’s, walls, racks, kiosk/checkout area…) and what if you went with the extreme black like musou black paint?(know as an ultra black) how would you feel walking into a “Goth” and dark coral store?

with all the blue light would that defuse some of it?
Could it make it a bit safer?
How would this effect coral viewing?
has anyone ever used an ultra black stand/canopy back wall backdrop (or painted the back of the tank)?
Could it make a big difference?

thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just a bit curious on your thoughts. I work at a fish store and have been to a few other stores who have very specific styles… a ton of stores do wood grain or just piece together everything from multiple styles because that is all they can get.
My shop is known for white paint everywhere and everyone synonymously says we are very clean and a favorite. After being there a year and seeing how this has an effect on people and what they think about our presentation I had the thought of a store based in black.
(Not everything however the majority of stand’s, walls, racks, kiosk/checkout area…) and what if you went with the extreme black like musou black paint?(know as an ultra black) how would you feel walking into a “Goth” and dark coral store?

with all the blue light would that defuse some of it?
Could it make it a bit safer?
How would this effect coral viewing?
has anyone ever used an ultra black stand/canopy back wall backdrop (or painted the back of the tank)?
Could it make a big difference?

thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Back of my FOWLR tank is painted black. Back of my reef tank is blue with shimmer like one would see on a sunny day if out on the water or diving in shallow sandy area. It's a common rolled vinyl background, so you likely know which I mean. In my FOWLR, I've added florescent grasses and other artificial aquascape to add happy, bright feel to my FOWLR.

Black is just that - black. Blue lights are an acquired taste, but us reefers are used to walking into dimly lit space. When our local club hosts Frag Swap, local facility is always shocked we want to turn off all possible lights, as we're using primarily each tables frag lighting.

Instead I would think people are looking for clean and well maintained space. If you are going for goth black and think goth black focused people will like it and they are your target audience, then you've met your objective. Personal preference is just that - personal...

My suggestion if you are planning new store or store decor overhaul, go look at your competition, not just local but get on a plane. Do some in person research. Lots of store to see in Florida or come out to DFW - we also have lots of stores you can view (none black goth).

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest, almost every store I use to visit was pretty much blacked out at least very dark with dark blue floors and super blue…. Almost black lighting. Not mouso black of coarse. Kinda like walking into the back of a Spencer’s if you saw one of those in a mall in the 90s. I only noticed that after sps started to pop off and they were trying to really make the color pop. The fish store of old were just dark from never being cleaned and not replacing light bulbs. I’ve never been in a brightly lit, white fish store with the exception of like petco which I wouldn’t really call a fish store.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest, almost every store I use to visit was pretty much blacked out at least very dark with dark blue floors and super blue…. Almost black lighting. Not mouso black of coarse. Kinda like walking into the back of a Spencer’s if you saw one of those in a mall in the 90s. I only noticed that after sps started to pop off and they were trying to really make the color pop. The fish store of old were just dark from never being cleaned and not replacing light bulbs. I’ve never been in a brightly lit, white fish store with the exception of like petco which I wouldn’t really call a fish store.
Well if you are ever in arizona we are located right next to the phx airport. Plenty of people stop by during lay overs.
I was just curious how big of a difference it might make.
Would you say you are more/less likely to buy stuff?
What is the feeling you get being there?

mom not fully looking for “goth” only mainly curious if anyone has noticed if there is a difference for the reefer. I would love to make the colors pop and think it would be awesome if the extra blue light took care of itself with photo’s and didn’t bleed so much into the rest of the store.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are ever in arizona we are located right next to the phx airport. Plenty of people stop by during lay overs.
I was just curious how big of a difference it might make.
Would you say you are more/less likely to buy stuff?
What is the feeling you get being there?

mom not fully looking for “goth” only mainly curious if anyone has noticed if there is a difference for the reefer. I would love to make the colors pop and think it would be awesome if the extra blue light took care of itself with photo’s and didn’t bleed so much into the rest of the store.
I would love to check it out, especially as I’m the general area but I’ve lost most my vision so I wouldn’t be able to notice or give any feedback to your current store, let alone get there. Since you’re in Phoenix you could pop into Kona reef to see a mostly blacked out store. If I remember correctly the ceiling and walls are black, the floors dark blue epoxy, and the only lighting is the tanks. I really liked that they had tvs above each section that were kinda like a menu at a fast food joint. They clearly listed names and pricing. Which I like better than trying to read sharpie on the glass that is not legible. Ive never been to the chandler location so it may be different than the phoenix one. I would definitely say that the colors pop more in a dark store. Although that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to check it out, especially as I’m the general area but I’ve lost most my vision so I wouldn’t be able to notice or give any feedback to your current store, let alone get there. Since you’re in Phoenix you could pop into Kona reef to see a mostly blacked out store. If I remember correctly the ceiling and walls are black, the floors dark blue epoxy, and the only lighting is the tanks. I really liked that they had tvs above each section that were kinda like a menu at a fast food joint. They clearly listed names and pricing. Which I like better than trying to read sharpie on the glass that is not legible. Ive never been to the chandler location so it may be different than the phoenix one. I would definitely say that the colors pop more in a dark store. Although that’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
So they closed down that Phoenix location opened 3 new store locations closed 2 of them down and 6 months later opened them back up…..
I have never been to Kona because the closest one to me is 46 minutes away from me. I work like 4 minutes from phx air port but we are open longer and more days than pretty much every store. My only problem is when I am over that way we open first and close last

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back