My 100.3 Waterbox

mOReilly43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am new to R2R. I wanted to share my waterbox that I got about 6 months ago. The tank was already running for about two years before I moved it to my house. Since then I haven’t done a lot too it just maintained it. This winter I’ve had sometime to make it my own, I bought 2 assorted beginner coral packs from WWC and a 75 gal CUC. I also bought a salifert testing kit so that I can begin to monitor and grow the corals. I’ve added some pictures to my thread in hopes that people with more experience can give me some advice. Currently I’m most worried about my Zoa’s as they have never really opened up consistently or fully aswell as my harvest moon that may be fading in color. I also think I have dinoflagellates hence the new CUC. Let me know what you think and please give me some advice!! I’m super happy that I stumbled upon this site and have been reading threads ever since.

IMG_4979.jpeg IMG_4980.jpeg IMG_4981.jpeg IMG_4983.jpeg IMG_4984.jpeg IMG_4982.jpeg IMG_4985.jpeg IMG_4977.jpeg IMG_4978.jpeg IMG_4976.jpeg IMG_4986.jpeg IMG_4987.png

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! What jumps out at me is your low nutrients. You are starving them. These corals like higher nutrient levels. Aim for nitrates 10-15 and phosphates.05-.01.

OP
OP
mOReilly43

mOReilly43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! What jumps out at me is your low nutrients. You are starving them. These corals like higher nutrient levels. Aim for nitrates 10-15 and phosphates.05-.01.
Thanks!! Yeah I put my protein skimmer on a 9 hr schedule and started feeding a little more, I hope that does the trick. Thanks for the advice!!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Yeah I put my protein skimmer on a 9 hr schedule and started feeding a little more, I hope that does the trick. Thanks for the advice!!
I would turn your protein skimmer off or lower it so it doesn’t produce skimmate but still gives good gas exchange. Decrease water changes and continue increased feeding until levels are reached.

OP
OP
mOReilly43

mOReilly43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn your protein skimmer off or lower it so it doesn’t produce skimmate but still gives good gas exchange. Decrease water changes and continue increased feeding until levels are reached.
Sounds good, I will do that! What’s skimmate? Will this fuel my Dino problem as well?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I will do that! What’s skimmate? Will this fuel my Dino problem as well?
Skimmate is the organics the skimmer pulls out in the collection cup. Dinos appear when nitrates and phosphates bottom out to near zero, so no.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back