My 125g Build Thread

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess since I sent in my payment last week and picked up my tank this weekend, I can start a build thread :bigsmile:

I bought the tank/stand/sump from Bill (McAllyn) and I understand it has been in a couple other guys houses in the club. It went in my mancave/basement. My dad, Bill and I got it drained and broken down Sunday morning. We got it to my house around lunch and set up on the horses ready to paint the back. My wife got the back and stand repainted.

ry%3D480

I had previously built a small stand for the stand to sit on to raise it up some. I wanted it to be a little more eye level and not have to bend over to look in it. I don't have any pics of just that but this is after the stand is on it and while the paint was drying.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

After the paint was dry and we got everything moved in, it was time to hook up all the plumbing (which was super easy because of unions) and get everything plugged in. We got as much water as I could carry from Bill and had about 25 gallon made sitting at home. This is as far as I got. Gotta make about 80 more gallon to get it full. I just threw in a few leftover rocks to break up the water while pouring it in.

ry%3D400

After filling up and cycling, we will be breaking down my dad's 70g and moving everything from it over to this one. I still have to make a few more purchases (little more rock and a heater) to be ready. I will be running a T5 light setup for now. I am sure I will have tons of questions so bear with me. I am excited to get it going and looking forward to meeting some of you at the upcoming meetings.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that it is raised a bit more. Great idea! Congratz on the new tank!

Thanks for sharing the build here.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice start... keep it coming..

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see that thing getting some use! Looks like you guys have a great start there, can't wait to see how it comes out!

Now I get to remember the days back when I was with all the cool kids in the "Triple Digit Club"... Funny thing is when we hit our peak, we had 450 gallons potential in a 900sq ft house. Seemed like a pretty good ratio to me.

Mac

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys and especially to you Bill for all the help yesterday. I was WORE out by the time I got done last night. Packing all that water was a workout lol.

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question now. I am going to be using T5 lights for the tank. We are doing a nautical theme down in the basement and want the tank to blend in. I was thinking about building something like this to house the lights and then covering it grass to make it look like a tiki hut. I tried to google it to see if any one has done something similar but no luck. Here is a pic of something like I am thinking although not exactly.

testbar.jpg

Here is a drawing I did today. Any and all thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. As you can see I have a question in my drawing. Is there some sort of formula for distance of lights from water or any articles I can read about it? I have looked some but nothing specific. It has to hinge up and out of the way for maintenance. What do you guys think?

ry%3D480

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical heights for the lights can range as close as 6" to 16". It really depends on the type of coral you want to keep and the way you hang your lights. With the idea of a swinging canopy, you will probably want to have them about 9"-12"

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATI is 10" off the water surface of my 90. That seems like the sweet spot for me as far as limiting light bleed and minimal splashing on the lens. I like the idea of a decorative hood (I'm not a fan of canopies, though) but I wonder if doing some kind of straw/grass cover is going to be a maintenance nightmare. Seems like the grass/thatch type cover would attract, catch, and build up a lot of dust and debris.

Mac

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATI is 10" off the water surface of my 90. That seems like the sweet spot for me as far as limiting light bleed and minimal splashing on the lens. I like the idea of a decorative hood (I'm not a fan of canopies, though) but I wonder if doing some kind of straw/grass cover is going to be a maintenance nightmare. Seems like the grass/thatch type cover would attract, catch, and build up a lot of dust and debris.

Mac

I thought about that also and it is possible. I am not 100% sure which way I am going to go yet. Still making water at this point. I "think" I may have it full tonight and if not for sure tomorrow.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Looking forward to seeing everything come together.

Brandon

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

Finally got it filled and running. Took a lot more water that I thought. Just have my 2' light over it now as the other is still on my dads tank. Waiting on my heater and my other power head to come in the mail. All I need now is some live rock. Question about cycling. Right now my nitrates are 0 and phosphates are 0. Gonna let it run a bit to check alk and salinity. If it cycles and then I add more rock will it cycle again?

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably see a small cycle once the other rock is added. If you haven't seen any signs of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate yet you have not cycled.
Don't worry about ALK, CAL levels at this point in time. You don't need to worry about those until you add corals. Fish and the cycling tank don't need or care about those levels. I'd say give it a few days and you'll start to see signs of ammonia first, followed by nitrites, then finally nitrates. Once your nitrites spike and go down and the nitrates rise, do a large WC, > 50% and you'll be cycled.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to belittle you or anything just trying to help out. Is this your first reef tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back