My 125g build w/basement sump/fish room

JhardainReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading this entire thread. Great job! Very impressed, love the lights and that whole part, looks way better than a hood. Very nice choice. I just got an Apex too and my complaint is the readings are not always accurate even when you calibrate the probes. Look forward to seeing the progress of your tank going forward!

Tro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4616.JPG
Great setup. Mine is similar, not as far along. 120g same pump etc.

Have you figured a way to quiet the pump ? Mine seems louder than it should.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4616.JPG

I used rubber bushings in between the base and the platform.

5642190A-EBFC-4A4F-83B8-281287E6AAE5.jpeg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build looks amazing. I have very similar plans - i drilled out my 125 for the same overflow 2 days before my wifes job asked us to relocate. We found a perfect spot for it in between the office and living room, in-wall, but the holes make that impossible. So we upgraded to a 180, and the 125 becomes my basement sump.

Ill be stealing a few of your ideas, if you dont mind. I had a couple quick questions regarding your fishroom-

1) did you put vapor barrier behind the drywall?
2) are you actively venting to the outside? If so, did you add a 'make up air' replacement vent to stop a negative pressure situation?

my room is only going to be 6x 8, with a 200cfm inline fan. Make up air wont be an issue since our house is 25 years old and leaks at practically every window.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, stepped away from updating this for a while. I’ll be better

Your build looks amazing. I have very similar plans - i drilled out my 125 for the same overflow 2 days before my wifes job asked us to relocate. We found a perfect spot for it in between the office and living room, in-wall, but the holes make that impossible. So we upgraded to a 180, and the 125 becomes my basement sump.

Ill be stealing a few of your ideas, if you dont mind. I had a couple quick questions regarding your fishroom-

1) did you put vapor barrier behind the drywall?
2) are you actively venting to the outside? If so, did you add a 'make up air' replacement vent to stop a negative pressure situation?

my room is only going to be 6x 8, with a 200cfm inline fan. Make up air wont be an issue since our house is 25 years old and leaks at practically every window.

Yea!! Steal away!!

1. I did not put a vapor barrier behind the drywall. The reason for that is answered in your next question.
2. Yes, I have an Wave vent installed in the room that is meant to remove humid air from the entire house via basement. The unit is installed in the fish room and I have two vents connecting it to the main living area. I pair that up with a dehumidifier that keeps the relative humidity in there below 45%.

I have the same leak problems... especially in the basement.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reread this thread. Awesome build again! Definitely keep us updated on how things work, it’s great to hear real world experiences of equipment and how everything ties together.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4616.JPG

Excuse the long delay. No, the vibration continues but I think it's because everything is hard plumbed and I didn't think to put any absorption points where the plumbing hangs from the ceilings. I'm currently away from the house but when I get back, I'll look into replacing the rigid vinyl spacers between the hanger and pvc pipe a long the ceiling as well as insuring a small run of flexible tubing to cut down on vibration. Will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back