OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 6 months since I posted an update. Changed the aquascape again on the left, added more rock for more coral. So far so good. I have a new helper to help with water changes.

Attachments

• IMG_2757.jpg
    IMG_2757.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 250
OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more pics

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2805.jpg
    IMG_2805.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 224

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow looks great! Love the cute little helper!

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do. Been awhile since I posted. Everything is going really well. Here are some updated Pics

Attachments

• IMG_4302.jpg
    IMG_4302.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4304.jpg
    IMG_4304.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding some current pics to keep this thread updated.

Attachments

• IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4705.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 161

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding some current pics to keep this thread updated.

Are you still liking this tank? About to purchase one and came across your thread. Is the tank hard to do maintenance in? How did you mount your lights?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still liking this tank? About to purchase one and came across your thread. Is the tank hard to do maintenance in? How did you mount your lights?

Yes I still like the tank. The stand, canopy, and tank are stunning and very well made. I've had no issues with it. That being said if I could go back to the beginning I would have gotten something larger (who hasn't said that) and with more room underneath. The Aquavim half cylinder stands are not totally open, they have a square section under the tank you can use and my sump filled that area totally so I have no space for the reactor, ATO equip, dosing equip, or storage that I now am looking to add. My solution will be some piece of furniture next to the tank to store that equipment but I'm agonizing over moving water between the 2 and would could happen if it leaks. Aquavim also encloses a lot of the top of the tank in glass, only leaving a section in the middle open. It's large enough to get anything in but I can't reach the bottom corners of the tank with my hand, and even reaching the bottom in front requires a ladder and my entire arm. I wouldn't change the depth though, that was one thing I wanted, I just wish the top was more open so I could reach in from the sides.

As far as lighting I just used eyehooks and then the hanging hardwarethat came with my maxspect and then later my reefbreeders LED's. Here is a pic of them.

attachment.jpg

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I still like the tank. The stand, canopy, and tank are stunning and very well made. I've had no issues with it. That being said if I could go back to the beginning I would have gotten something larger (who hasn't said that) and with more room underneath. The Aquavim half cylinder stands are not totally open, they have a square section under the tank you can use and my sump filled that area totally so I have no space for the reactor, ATO equip, dosing equip, or storage that I now am looking to add. My solution will be some piece of furniture next to the tank to store that equipment but I'm agonizing over moving water between the 2 and would could happen if it leaks. Aquavim also encloses a lot of the top of the tank in glass, only leaving a section in the middle open. It's large enough to get anything in but I can't reach the bottom corners of the tank with my hand, and even reaching the bottom in front requires a ladder and my entire arm. I wouldn't change the depth though, that was one thing I wanted, I just wish the top was more open so I could reach in from the sides.

As far as lighting I just used eyehooks and then the hanging hardwarethat came with my maxspect and then later my reefbreeders LED's. Here is a pic of them.

attachment.jpg

Thanks for all the info, it looks like you have the moon view since the canopy opens from the front? have you been able to get good flow inside the tank? I noticed in your earlier pictures the large euro brace and was concerned it would be difficult to work inside the tank. I need to stop asking questions and pull the trigger :)

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info, it looks like you have the moon view since the canopy opens from the front? have you been able to get good flow inside the tank? I noticed in your earlier pictures the large euro brace and was concerned it would be difficult to work inside the tank. I need to stop asking questions and pull the trigger :)

Yes it's the moon view. I have had no issues with flow, I have 4 hydors on their controller now, 2 on each side. I would advise mounting them on the back as mounting on the sides ruin the look of the half cylinder. Any powerhead you can adjust is fine, not sure if you wanted to use Ecotech's as you can't direct them. I actually think the cylinder shape helps with flow. Are you buying direct from Aquavim? Did you see their clearance site?

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's the moon view. I have had no issues with flow, I have 4 hydors on their controller now, 2 on each side. I would advise mounting them on the back as mounting on the sides ruin the look of the half cylinder. Any powerhead you can adjust is fine, not sure if you wanted to use Ecotech's as you can't direct them. I actually think the cylinder shape helps with flow. Are you buying direct from Aquavim? Did you see their clearance site?

I will be buying direct from AquaVim. I was planning on using Ecotech's but I'm waiting to hear back on the glass thickness. I may try a Maxspect Riptide and mount it on the overflow.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order my half cylinder this week. Looking at your overflow, does it pull in water on the bottom, middle, and over the teeth at the top?

The slots at the bottom and middle pull water and direct it to the top of the overflow where it meets with the water from the top teeth and goes over into the overflow. I'm excited to see another build using the half cylinder tank, please post a link to your build once you start!

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slots at the bottom and middle pull water and direct it to the top of the overflow where it meets with the water from the top teeth and goes over into the overflow. I'm excited to see another build using the half cylinder tank, please post a link to your build once you start!
I'll definitely start a thread. Thanks for all the info. Your tank looks great, hope mine turns out as good. Do you have your power heads centered on either side of the overflow? It looks like there mounted in the flat corners? When researching a lot of people said it was hard to get good flow in a half cylinder. I was wondering what your doing for flow? I was thinking about going with two MP10's on either side of the overflow.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely start a thread. Thanks for all the info. Your tank looks great, hope mine turns out as good. Do you have your power heads centered on either side of the overflow? It looks like there mounted in the flat corners? When researching a lot of people said it was hard to get good flow in a half cylinder. I was wondering what your doing for flow? I was thinking about going with two MP10's on either side of the overflow.

I have 4 powerheads, 2 each in the top corners of the flat back and they are on a controller that runs one on each side at a time. I've not had issues with flow but I am going to be swapping out the Hydors for Jabeo DC to try and get some more random flow. I love Ecotechs and use them on my tank at work but I stuck with powerheads that are on a stalk so I can angle them in towards the middle of the tank. Here's a pic of the left side. You can't really tell from the pic but they are angled as far as they ca towards the center of the tank.
IMG_3815.JPG

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was delivered today. I'm excited to get it setup. I've got another question for you? When power is cut does the overflow stop draining once the water drops below the top teeth of the overflow? I'm worried about my sump size. Do you know how much yours drains when the power is cut to the return pump?

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the overflow will stop draining to the sump once the water breaks below the teeth. That being said I used loc-line for my return and it created a siphon which will draw water back until the loc-line is exposed. That was too much water for my sump so I added a GF Wye valve in the return line. this worked but I had the valve fail several times during feeding after about 6 months. I always caught it in time but it un-nerved me that I could loose power or the return pump would fail and too much water would back siphon out. I fixed this by drilling a hole in the loc-line on each run just below the surface of the water. This breaks the siphon almost immediately.

I'm not sure exactly how much water drains back, for me I would say its less than half a gallon, whatever is in the drain and the return already that drops back down in. I'm really excited to see your build, please ask away if you have any other questions or want to see detailed pics of anything that I've done with my setup.

Back