OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS that I shouldn't get a different type of hermit in my tank. I currently have red-legged, and he said if I add a scarlet or blue-legged they can end up fighting and killing each other in such a small tank. I think that might be a small risk, but it's just a little thing I wanted to share that I heard. Not sure if it's accurate or not.
I thought he was talking about snails, but I am not sure. I am only going to get scarlet hermits, I wish I could get different species, but I don't want there to be murders in my tank... Lol!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought he was talking about snails, but I am not sure. I am only going to get scarlet hermits, I wish I could get different species, but I don't want there to be murders in my tank... Lol!
Yep lol! If you go with some scarlets I'm sure you will be just fine!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have basically already said anything that needs to be said about today's update, but here is the update for,  3/1/24.

 its the exact same. The fish ate a lot again!.

The diatoms have doubled in size, so I am definitely going to go pick up some hermits, and  maybe  some snails. I looked on PetCo's website, and they didn't have any trochus snails, which is what my tank needs right now. If they don't have any, I feel the hermits will do a good enough job of cleaning my tank, correct?

I will also pick up some algae wafers from PetCo, so that they can feed on that, the diatoms, alage in the tank, and leftover food from my fish.

Oh... I also need shells... Will PetCo have ones from the ocean? I see on their website, they have hermit crab "grow" shells, but I am not sure if those are good enough... If I do get them, I will make sure to boil them with RO water.

Also, anyone have any experience with corals from them? I have heard someone found a torch for 25 bucks?!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have basically already said anything that needs to be said about today's update, but here is the update for,  3/1/24.

 its the exact same. The fish ate a lot again!.

The diatoms have doubled in size, so I am definitely going to go pick up some hermits, and  maybe  some snails. I looked on PetCo's website, and they didn't have any trochus snails, which is what my tank needs right now. If they don't have any, I feel the hermits will do a good enough job of cleaning my tank, correct?

I will also pick up some algae wafers from PetCo, so that they can feed on that, the diatoms, alage in the tank, and leftover food from my fish.

Oh... I also need shells... Will PetCo have ones from the ocean? I see on their website, they have hermit crab "grow" shells, but I am not sure if those are good enough... If I do get them, I will make sure to boil them with RO water.

Also, anyone have any experience with corals from them? I have heard someone found a torch for 25 bucks?!
Good to hear all is well! I would definitely get some trochus whenever you stop by the LFS. Hermits will be ok for now, but 2 hermits won't eat it all up in one day lol...

I got some shells for my hermits here:

They are somewhat cheap and ready to throw in your tank (I didn't do anything before throwing them in). They have even larger ones if needed, I got medium for now as my crabs had pretty small shells.

No experience with coral from PetCo, idk if I would trust them lol. Your local coral guy sounds like he would be the best!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's so hard to find a reliable petco. I've been to the flagship one in Manhattan and they have a nice saltwater section but the petcos closest to me in Queens and Long Island are pretty sad. I think local hobbyists/ sellers are the best. Have you considered getting inverts online from somewhere like reefcleaners?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so hard to find a reliable petco. I've been to the flagship one in Manhattan and they have a nice saltwater section but the petcos closest to me in Queens and Long Island are pretty sad. I think local hobbyists/ sellers are the best. Have you considered getting inverts online from somewhere like reefcleaners?
I gave thought about ordering stuff online, but its still "winter" here for me, where the weather is still very unpredictable. 2 days ago it was below freezing, and it had strong really strong winds.

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find that the snails aren’t doing nearly enough for the sand bed, you could also look into possibly getting a Tiger Conch. They are basically vacuum cleaners for sand and do tend to eat a lot, so be sure you’ve got a lot of growth it can feed on before adding one or you may have to supplement it’s food supply. Ive found that my Trochus and Ceriths spend most of their time on the rock work and glass, and not much time on or in the sand.

Also if you are still looking for ideas for your last fish, check out the Bicolor Blenny if you haven’t seen them yet. Mine has a lot of personality and does goofy stuff. He also changes colors a bit and shows white stripes when he’s trying to hide or sleep… really cool little fish!

Disclaimer: I’m still a newb, so keep that in mind lol

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find that the snails aren’t doing nearly enough for the sand bed, you could also look into possibly getting a Tiger Conch. They are basically vacuum cleaners for sand and do tend to eat a lot, so be sure you’ve got a lot of growth it can feed on before adding one or you may have to supplement it’s food supply. Ive found that my Trochus and Ceriths spend most of their time on the rock work and glass, and not much time on or in the sand.

Also if you are still looking for ideas for your last fish, check out the Bicolor Blenny if you haven’t seen them yet. Mine has a lot of personality and does goofy stuff. He also changes colors a bit and shows white stripes when he’s trying to hide or sleep… really cool little fish!

Disclaimer: I’m still a newb, so keep that in mind lol
I really like the bicolor blenny! Thanks for the suggestion!

If I find that my sand bed is still looking bad in a few weeks, I will look into getting a Tiger Conch. Thanks for the suggestions!

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With herms they don’t “need a new house right away” in my experience. My scarlet is in the same shell since the beginning. Of course I’m sure they like options but should be a reason not to get now. I would try and call your store. Online stock is rarely correct!
I haven’t bought any coral from them, most of the time they don’t even know what they have or it’s labeled wrong. Sometimes that’s a win for people lol!
Algae wafers are perfect, will keep your clean up crew fed if they run out of other things to eat!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you can say it sent well.

I was there FOREVER. But lol, anyway the Scarlet's we're 20 bucks a pop!! So I didn't get those, I got red legged hermits instead. I got 6, and unfortunately 2 out of those 6 are blue legged... I read they are almost the same thing, just the blue will be a little bit more aggressive...

I just put them in the tank, and they are already getting to work.

One did just climb on the clove polyps, but it didn't do anything to it, the clove polyp just got mad at it and closed up. Lol.

I also got some algae wafers for them to eat.

They have those spiral shells, so should I but those?

20240302_143747.jpg

20240302_143731.jpg

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sweet! Yea that’s pricey, not worth it and you made a good call! They will climb over everything, they might spend I lot of time around the cloves because they tend to hold on to a little more algae around the base… no worries just cleaning!
With the shells it doesn’t matter much, they are opportunistic and will take what’s available. Just get some that are available a little bigger than what they have. No rush on that though!
You have food so you are set man! My crabs will do a high dive off the top rocks to get at a wafer on the sand, they are fun to watch!
Great work, time to sit back and enjoy!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you can say it sent well.

I was there FOREVER. But lol, anyway the Scarlet's we're 20 bucks a pop!! So I didn't get those, I got red legged hermits instead. I got 6, and unfortunately 2 out of those 6 are blue legged... I read they are almost the same thing, just the blue will be a little bit more aggressive...

I just put them in the tank, and they are already getting to work.

One did just climb on the clove polyps, but it didn't do anything to it, the clove polyp just got mad at it and closed up. Lol.

I also got some algae wafers for them to eat.

They have those spiral shells, so should I but those?

20240302_143747.jpg

20240302_143731.jpg
Glad to hear that you had a better time at the LFS this time! Jeez! Those scarlets are expensive what the heck. They were like 6-8$ each by me. Glad you still got some other ones though, looks great! I think those shells are called conial shells, so you could eventually get some. Wouldn't hurt!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update,  3/2/24.

If you couldn't already tell, I got 6 hermit crabs. I was supposed to get 6 red legged hermits, but somehow I got only 4, and the other 2 are blue legged.

Both of the fish ate a lot again.

One thing that is stressing me out about, is that I haven't seen my clown goby since I fed him. He is normally perched in rocks that I can see him, but he's not been like that for the past 6 hours...

I also fed again later in the day about 3 hours ago, because I saw my firefish trying to eat some particles floating in the water, and the clown goby didn't come out to eat, or even just come check it out, which it normally does...

I also checked in the sump, and through most of the rocks... I don't know, I mean maybe it's just hiding deep into one whole in the rock that I can't see because maybe its scared of the crabs?

I really hope I see him in the morning.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you couldn't already tell, I got 6 hermit crabs. I was supposed to get 6 red legged hermits, but somehow I got only 4, and the other 2 are blue legged.

One thing that is stressing me out about, is that I haven't seen my clown goby since I fed him. He is normally perched in rocks that I can see him, but he's not been like that for the past 6 hours...

I also fed again later in the day about 3 hours ago, because I saw my firefish trying to eat some particles floating in the water, and the clown goby didn't come out to eat, or even just come check it out, which it normally does...

I also checked in the sump, and through most of the rocks... I don't know, I mean maybe it's just hiding deep into one whole in the rock that I can't see because maybe its scared of the crabs?

You should take back and exchange. While only a buck or 2 difference, should be, you paid for scarlet and thats what you should get.

Fish sometimes hide for days at a time.

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I would lean to think it’s found a good home, something new “6 invaders” came in today and might take its fav spot so it’s prob on guard! It will come out when it gets hungry enough!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean to think it’s found a good home, something new “6 invaders” came in today and might take its fav spot so it’s prob on guard! It will come out when it gets hungry enough!
Ok, lol. That makes me feel better. Still haven't seen him yet, but I am hoping he will come out to eat tomorrow.

I thought my firefish would be more like this, but boy was I wrong. He came right up to the biggest one, and he but his nose on it, and almost pushed it a little. Lol.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but API test kits are absolute garbage! Go with Hanna checkers for nitrate and phosphate, and Salifert for anything else. Those are accurate test kits.
Wasn't there a thread about API with @taricha where they found the kits were actually more accurate than people were painting them as?

Following. Gathering the components for my own 10g + 11.4g builds. Research is the best part

*edit: I like the small blue legged hermits. They're probably not making a huge impact, but they only seem to scavenge dead tissue and don't really seem to bother anything in a major way.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back