OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought i'd also show this. This is the top of my skimmer, in which I haven't cleaned yet... It's only been running in the tank for a week!!!

20240304_204338.jpg

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought i'd also show this. This is the top of my skimmer, in which I haven't cleaned yet... It's only been running in the tank for a week!!!

20240304_204338.jpg
John Witherspoon Funk GIF

That’s impressive, don’t think I posted it but I took your suggestion. Mine came yesterday, sitting here waiting for them to pay me before I open it! Haha. Thanks again for the $55 tip!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John Witherspoon Funk GIF

That’s impressive, don’t think I posted it but I took your suggestion. Mine came yesterday, sitting here waiting for them to pay me before I open it! Haha. Thanks again for the $55 tip!
Did they private message you?

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did they private message you?
I sent them a dm, they had me order it. They had some issue with my PayPal. I didn’t get a notice until 3am here during there business hrs lol. Should be paid soon!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them a dm, they had me order it. They had some issue with my PayPal. I didn’t get a notice until 3am here during there business hrs lol. Should be paid soon!
Ok, to be honest I thought that you had just bought it off Amazon, and was expecting your money back. LOL! They should pay you back soon, congrats on your free skimmer!!!!!!!!!

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, to be honest I thought that you had just bought it off Amazon, and was expecting your money back. LOL! They should pay you back soon, congrats on your free skimmer!!!!!!!!!
Haha naw, not that crazy! Just got paid! Thanks again for the tip!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update, 3/5/24.

So, really nothing happened today.

I tried feeding the pellets, and the only thing that ate them was the hermits. The fish didn't touch them.

They showed more interest in them though, so I am hoping that by tomorrow they will at least try them...

I realized that I have never given updates on the corals, but to say the least they are doing very well!

I am also currently doing a research project on corals, so I am very excited to pick up more on Saturday!

But anyways, that's pretty much it for today!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays updates,  2/6/24.

 Again, nothing much really happened today.

The fish didn't touch the pellets, so I am not sure how to get them to eat them...

The corals are doing great, and it's only a few days until I get more!

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's todays updates,  2/6/24.

 Again, nothing much really happened today.

The fish didn't touch the pellets, so I am not sure how to get them to eat them...

The corals are doing great, and it's only a few days until I get more!
Excited for you :star-struck: , what kind of research project are you planning?
Shoot you got some diva eaters! lol
Absolutely not necessary yet but it will be very nice to fall back on down the road especially if you have to leave town a few days and leave the tank unattended, being able to set it up with a little auto feeder without having someone to come in your place and feed daily is a nice fail safe and a piece of mind!
I'd say the only way I have tried is only feeding what I want them to eat for a few days, they will get hungry and eat. Now this is probably wrong and not the recommended or the nicest way lol, just what I have done!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know why I can't quote your post, but it's supposed to be quoted, Ralquist.

For now, I am just going to get them to eat mysis shrimp so that they can get fat. Once they are fat, I was thinking of doing what you said!

I am writing a paper about the coral reefs dying. It goes through the basic science of coral bleaching, and how they have a symbiotic relationship with zooxanthellae.

I thought it would help me learn about corals, and hopefully, if it gets published into an article here, it will start to spread awareness about our dying coral reefs.

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't know why I can't quote your post, but it's supposed to be quoted, Ralquist.

For now, I am just going to get them to eat mysis shrimp so that they can get fat. Once they are fat, I was thinking of doing what you said!

I am writing a paper about the coral reefs dying. It goes through the basic science of coral bleaching, and how they have a symbiotic relationship with zooxanthellae.

I thought it would help me learn about corals, and hopefully, if it gets published into an article here, it will start to spread awareness about our dying coral reefs.
That's really cool!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update, 3/7/24.

The fish ate again, and that's really all that happened!

I asked my local coral place, and he said that the fish shipment with my fish isn't in yet, so I was planning to stop in tomorrow before he closes, to pick up a few more corals.

But anyways, that's pretty much it! TGIF tomorrow!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update, 3/8/24.

Happy Friday everyone!!

I have to say, this update is a bit weird.

To start things off, I got 3 new corals! 1 Duncan, 1 Galaxia, and one Purple Stylophora!

They are doing great, and have opened up for the most part.

Now, here's the weird part.

When I got home today, before I left to get the corals, I didn't see my clown goby (His name I decided is Otto, lol. I got sick of calling him clown goby). When I got back, I still didn't see him.

A few hours later, I saw part of his fin in the rocks. I lifted it up, and sure enough, there he was.

After a few minutes, he decided to come to see me, with a ripped up gill...

Not sure how that happened, but half of his left gill is gone... I assume it got caught under a rock, then when I lifted the rock he was able to get out, but while he was stuck, he ripped his gill.

Tomorrow, I am going to be near the Petco that I was supposed to get the hermits from, and last time I went, they had very healthy cleaner shrimp, for only 40 bucks.

I would get one from my LFS, but I don't want to because they are 60 bucks!!!

Do you think my tank is ready for a cleaner shrimp?

I really want it to do well in my tank, am I am worried my tank is still new.

I have been waiting for a cleaner shrimp since day 1.

My nitrates are not high, but my parameters are not stable, but they do not do crazy swings.

Any thoughts?

20240308_193533.jpg
20240308_221358.jpg
20240308_193539.jpg

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update, 3/8/24.

Happy Friday everyone!!

I have to say, this update is a bit weird.

To start things off, I got 3 new corals! 1 Duncan, 1 Galaxia, and one Purple Stylophora!

They are doing great, and have opened up for the most part.

Now, here's the weird part.

When I got home today, before I left to get the corals, I didn't see my clown goby (His name I decided is Otto, lol. I got sick of calling him clown goby). When I got back, I still didn't see him.

A few hours later, I saw part of his fin in the rocks. I lifted it up, and sure enough, there he was.

After a few minutes, he decided to come to see me, with a ripped up gill...

Not sure how that happened, but half of his left gill is gone... I assume it got caught under a rock, then when I lifted the rock he was able to get out, but while he was stuck, he ripped his gill.

Tomorrow, I am going to be near the Petco that I was supposed to get the hermits from, and last time I went, they had very healthy cleaner shrimp, for only 40 bucks.

I would get one from my LFS, but I don't want to because they are 60 bucks!!!

Do you think my tank is ready for a cleaner shrimp?

I really want it to do well in my tank, am I am worried my tank is still new.

I have been waiting for a cleaner shrimp since day 1.

My nitrates are not high, but my parameters are not stable, but they do not do crazy swings.

Any thoughts?

20240308_193533.jpg
20240308_221358.jpg
20240308_193539.jpg
Oh wow I love these corals!!! :star-struck: A duncan is next on my shopping list :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I think you can definitely get a cleaner shrimp! I don't see a problem! Sorry to hear about your clown goby :( How is he doing now?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I love these corals!!! :star-struck: A duncan is next on my shopping list :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I think you can definitely get a cleaner shrimp! I don't see a problem! Sorry to hear about your clown goby :( How is he doing now?
He seems to be doing alright.

He's been hiding more than usual, but I mean what can you expect, he just got some of his body ripped off...

But man, this poor thing has been through a lot.

That's good to hear that you think I can get a shrimp! That makes me so excited!!

And, you should also get a Duncan! Such a cool coral!!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays updates,  3/9/24.

 I got a cleaner shrimp!!!!

I love him already, and I got it for dirt cheap, only for 21 bucks!

I got so lucky. I went into the store, and didn't see one.

I kept looking, and I found one! It was the last one. So the lady got it out, but was really struggling to get it to show up on the register, so she finally found it, but for some reason it showed up as 21 bucks, so that's what she sold it to me for!

I was so happy, considering the fact that does at my LFS we're 60 bucks.

I got him in the tank, and he is doing great!!

It is very difficult to get pictures, but I will try to get some tomorrow when he's hopefully out in the front of the tank.

I also picked up some stuff to get rid of the aptasia. It was aptasa elimina I believe?

It was 20 bucks...

I wasn't aware of that, but I was alright with it since I got my shrimp for so cheap.

I did it to some aptasia, and so far it looks like it worked!!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays updates,  3/9/24.

 I got a cleaner shrimp!!!!

I love him already, and I got it for dirt cheap, only for 21 bucks!

I got so lucky. I went into the store, and didn't see one.

I kept looking, and I found one! It was the last one. So the lady got it out, but was really struggling to get it to show up on the register, so she finally found it, but for some reason it showed up as 21 bucks, so that's what she sold it to me for!

I was so happy, considering the fact that does at my LFS we're 60 bucks.

I got him in the tank, and he is doing great!!

It is very difficult to get pictures, but I will try to get some tomorrow when he's hopefully out in the front of the tank.

I also picked up some stuff to get rid of the aptasia. It was aptasa elimina I believe?

It was 20 bucks...

I wasn't aware of that, but I was alright with it since I got my shrimp for so cheap.

I did it to some aptasia, and so far it looks like it worked!!
Cool! Can't wait to see your shrimp :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walker, perhaps i can help with this. The statement I bolded above is biased and not scientific. If you are looking up information about coral bleaching and writing a paper about it, you are not doing research or science. You are compiling the opinions of others. The scientific method either supports a hypothesis or does not support a hypothesis. It does not reach conclusions.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walker, perhaps i can help with this. The statement I bolded above is biased and not scientific. If you are looking up information about coral bleaching and writing a paper about it, you are not doing research or science. You are compiling the opinions of others. The scientific method either supports a hypothesis or does not support a hypothesis. It does not reach conclusions.
Could you please explain more how it is opinion, and explain what it is then?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back