My 15 gallons of the ocean!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please explain more how it is opinion, and explain what it is then?
People form opinions based on lots of things. People also mess up the scientific method all the time (especially scientists).

Galileo is a great example of good science. In his time the common current belief was that the universe rotated around the earth. The science was in, and religion supported it. The hypothesis of a heliocentric system, supported by experimentation using a telescope, Galileo was able to support his hypothesis. This did not end well for him...

Looking up information for a paper is a noble endeavor. You will learn from it. Be careful to sift through the "opinions". Look for humble points of view supported by well documented experimentation. If someone is confidently positive that they know the absolute truth, I bet they don't...

Hope that helps.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People form opinions based on lots of things. People also mess up the scientific method all the time (especially scientists).

Galileo is a great example of good science. In his time the common current belief was that the universe rotated around the earth. The science was in, and religion supported it. The hypothesis of a heliocentric system, supported by experimentation using a telescope, Galileo was able to support his hypothesis. This did not end well for him...

Looking up information for a paper is a noble endeavor. You will learn from it. Be careful to sift through the "opinions". Look for humble points of view supported by well documented experimentation. If someone is confidently positive that they know the absolute truth, I bet they don't...

Hope that helps.
Shorter answer, science is a process, not a description.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still confused how you think coral bleaching is opinion...
I think it is a fact. The causes of it are opinions, and amazingly complex. When you say "the science of coral bleaching", it sounds like everyone holds the same opinion based on science. My point is that is not how science works. Science is not definitive. Never has been.

Another example might help. for a long time, people thought the smallest particles were molecules. Then (through science) we discovered atoms. The "new" smallest particles. After more time passed, we discovered sub atomic particles (protons, neutrons, electrons). There we have it, the smallest particles! Nope. Two more layers of complexity have unfolded since then. We are now on to quarks, which subsequently led to string theory. What's next? Science is never complete. The science is never "IN". If anyone tells you otherwise, they don't know how to do science.

One of my favorite things to say, as a scientist is, "I don't know." It is very defendable.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a fact. The causes of it are opinions, and amazingly complex. When you say "the science of coral bleaching", it sounds like everyone holds the same opinion based on science. My point is that is not how science works. Science is not definitive. Never has been.

Another example might help. for a long time, people thought the smallest particles were molecules. Then (through science) we discovered atoms. The "new" smallest particles. After more time passed, we discovered sub atomic particles (protons, neutrons, electrons). There we have it, the smallest particles! Nope. Two more layers of complexity have unfolded since then. We are now on to quarks, which subsequently led to string theory. What's next? Science is never complete. The science is never "IN". If anyone tells you otherwise, they don't know how to do science.

One of my favorite things to say, as a scientist is, "I don't know." It is very defendable.
Yes, and that's why I didn't add the cause of coral bleaching.

I only explained what happens during bleaching, like how the coral expels the zooxanthellae.

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! Been crazy busy and just catching up on your updates!! Those are some beautiful new coral and great pics!!
Sucks about Otto, should heal up and be ok. That kinda thing happens from time to time, don’t stress over it!
Great score on the cleaner! Can’t wait to see it!
Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240310_152346.jpg

Lol, that picture is so bad.

I was able to get him to come on my hand twice now, but I couldn't get a picture.

Once I get better pictures I will post them.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and that's why I didn't add the cause of coral bleaching.

I only explained what happens during bleaching, like how the coral expels the zooxanthellae.
Gotcha. Beware causality. It is a slippery slope. You might discuss the differing opinions of causality of coral reef bleaching in your paper. The 2022 volcanic eruption of Hunga Tonga-Hunga Haʻapai in Tonga might have contributed to coral bleaching around the world.

Maybe not...

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful! Remember it will molt so don’t panic if you see his shell floating around! I’m pretty sure everyone at some point with one has had that shock and panic finding them!
Darn, if it’s still eating good hopefully it will just take some time to heal. You could see if you can get a good photo of it and post something on the fish help forum or fish medic #, people seem very helpful and fast to answer! I’ve received some great advice, as long as you can get clear pics, haha I can relate how hard and frustrating that is!!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I came home today to see my clown goby half-eaten.

Not sure what happened, but I did see what seemed to be like red parasites crawling around the carcass.
Pretty bummed out on this one.

All other things in my tank are still doing very well, so I assume that when he got the injury, parasites started slowly killing him.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I came home today to see my clown goby half-eaten.

Not sure what happened, but I did see what seemed to be like red parasites crawling around the carcass.
Pretty bummed out on this one.

All other things in my tank are still doing very well, so I assume that when he got the injury, parasites started slowly killing him.
Yeah , that's a tough break Walker. Sorry.

I am in the camp, GET THE HERMITS OUT. Take them back to the LFS as refugees. Little clown goby is kind of slow, accidentally lands on murderous hermit crab who takes a swipe at him. Then waits patiently.

Crabs are opportunistic predators as well as scavengers. Hermits were some of the worst tank members I ever kept.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah , that's a tough break Walker. Sorry.

I am in the camp, GET THE HERMITS OUT. Take them back to the LFS as refugees. Little clown goby is kind of slow, accidentally lands on murderous hermit crab who takes a swipe at him. Then waits patiently.

Crabs are opportunistic predators as well as scavengers. Hermits were some of the worst tank members I ever kept.
Thanks.

While I do think that the hermits could have been responsible for the injury, I don't believe it's what hurt him.

You could see a chunk taken out of him, but the spine left perfectly clean, which leads me to believe it was either worms, or whatever those red things I saw on him were.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

While I do think that the hermits could have been responsible for the injury, I don't believe it's what hurt him.

You could see a chunk taken out of him, but the spine left perfectly clean, which leads me to believe it was either worms, or whatever those red things I saw on him were.
What could those red things be? How big were they?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back