OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics under white light will help. Might be aptasia.
20240316_165956.jpg

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks to me like where it was broken off at one point and trying to heal over that spot. Eventually it will blend all back in nicely. Just want to watch out for algae growth on the exposed white. What kind is it, looks nice!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like where it was broken off at one point and trying to heal over that spot. Eventually it will blend all back in nicely. Just want to watch out for algae growth on the exposed white. What kind is it, looks nice!
Thanks! I believe it's purple stylophora.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I decided to turn on my lights to white, to look at some stuff, and to my surprise I found 2 new species of stuff in my tank.

The rock I found the stuff on, was in a 1.040 salinity do for an hour.

Somehow, bubble algae, and a coral survived the dip.

The bubble algae isn't exciting, and is actually something I was sad to see.

Now, somehow a coral survived the 1.040 dip. No idea how. It seems to be pink waving hand anthelia, so it is not colorful...

I was thinking of trying to take it out, then put it on a frag, grow it on the frag, then turn it in for some store credit if possible.

Here's a picture.

20240316_170618.jpg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an orbit marine nano LED light.

It's not the best, so it stays a consistent blue, and it has no ramp up/down mode.

I am hoping to upgrade it in a few months.

Edit: I forgot to quote your post, @jabberwock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came home to see my cleaner shrimp cleaning my firefish!! :astonished-face::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Never in a million years did I think my firefish would let the shrimp clean him!

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a picture, but so cool!!!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came home to see my cleaner shrimp cleaning my firefish!! :astonished-face::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Never in a million years did I think my firefish would let the shrimp clean him!

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a picture, but so cool!!!
That's cool. Similar experience for me the other day.

IMG_6527.jpg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral guy just reached out to me and said the fish would be in by Wednesday.

I plan to pick a fish up on Saturday.

He said he got a tailspot and lawnmower blenny, and he also got yellow and pink watchman gobies!!

Which do you think will be best in my tank?

As I have said many times before, I really like the Watchman goby!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I found this today, posted a thread and nobody really helped lol. I might bump it, but any idea?

It's that orange spec, I have never seen it before, but I did just flip the rock around.
20240318_154334.jpg

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral guy just reached out to me and said the fish would be in by Wednesday.

I plan to pick a fish up on Saturday.

He said he got a tailspot and lawnmower blenny, and he also got yellow and pink watchman gobies!!

Which do you think will be best in my tank?

As I have said many times before, I really like the Watchman goby!
If you really like the watchman goby, then go for it!!!!! I love mine, despite him being hidden most the time LOL. I think he would be a good fit for the tank.

A tailspot blenny would also be nice! Pretty cool colors, that might be my last/fourth fish in my tank!

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is an update on my mushroom coral!

I am beyond happy with it's growth so far, and it's looking great in my tank!

When I got it:
20240225_133736.jpg

Now!! :D :

20240320_164241.jpg
It’s a beauty, looks very happy there! Keep up the great work!

Quick question on the skimmer, do you run the air valve wide open or have it adjusted down? I’m also getting a ton of micro bubbles, thought it would have been settled by now. Do you notice that?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a beauty, looks very happy there! Keep up the great work!

Quick question on the skimmer, do you run the air valve wide open or have it adjusted down? I’m also getting a ton of micro bubbles, thought it would have been settled by now. Do you notice that?
I have it open all the way.

The microbubbles for me aren't bad. I only noticed them if I empty the skimmate, or if I make adjustments to the water level or whatever (when you turn the cup).

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have it open all the way.

The microbubbles for me aren't bad. I only noticed them if I empty the skimmate, or if I make adjustments to the water level or whatever (when you turn the cup).
Good to know, think I must have it sitting too low. The water is right on the line, making clear skim and over flows fast no matter the setting. No good haha, I had dialed the flow down but that is making a micro bubble city! Still trying to dial this puppy in.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I found this today, posted a thread and nobody really helped lol. I might bump it, but any idea?

It's that orange spec, I have never seen it before, but I did just flip the rock around.
20240318_154334.jpg
My guess would be some sort of sponge or tunicate given you said it was growing in a shaded area. Beautiful rock. I'd try to do something about that aiptasia in a tank this size though. It can take over real estate FAST if it establishes.

Also what's your current fish stocking list? I have a real soft spot for a goby pistol shrimp pairing. Here's my probably 7-8 year old ywg. Also threw in a photo of my old 16 inch clam. Sadly a filefish devoured it
1000004754.jpg
1000005195.jpg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be some sort of sponge or tunicate given you said it was growing in a shaded area. Beautiful rock. I'd try to do something about that aiptasia in a tank this size though. It can take over real estate FAST if it establishes.

Also what's your current fish stocking list? I have a real soft spot for a goby pistol shrimp pairing. Here's my probably 7-8 year old ywg. Also threw in a photo of my old 16 inch clam. Sadly a filefish devoured it
1000004754.jpg
1000005195.jpg
Sorry about your clam, it's absolutely gorgeous!

I really do think the goby pistol pair is really cool, but I am not sure if I can do it because I have a glass tank, (though it is pretty thick). Here's what's in my tank:

- One firefish
- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- 6 hermits

My firefish likes to hang out at the top of a cave, so not really worried about it, and the hermits I have no worry, but my cleaner shrimp worries me...

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, think I must have it sitting too low. The water is right on the line, making clear skim and over flows fast no matter the setting. No good haha, I had dialed the flow down but that is making a micro bubble city! Still trying to dial this puppy in.
What's the longest time you have had it running?

This happened when I set it up, and when I added some packet to help clear the water.

I just let it run with the white cap off of the thing that stick out of the cup, and let it train back into the tank.

Also, do you know that you twist the cup to adjust the water level? I did this, and had the bubbles very low, and then that's when it started skimming.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your clam, it's absolutely gorgeous!

I really do think the goby pistol pair is really cool, but I am not sure if I can do it because I have a glass tank, (though it is pretty thick). Here's what's in my tank:

- One firefish
- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- 6 hermits

My firefish likes to hang out at the top of a cave, so not really worried about it, and the hermits I have no worry, but my cleaner shrimp worries me...
A pistol shrimp isn't like a mantis shrimp. It's not going to break your glass. They dig, but the only thing they could do that could damage glass is tumble rock by tunneling under it which shouldn't be possible if you place your rockwork directly on the glass. A tiger or Randall's pistol shrimp would never be able to take down a healthy cleaner shrimp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back