My 15 gallons of the ocean!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that adds up to about the cost of the AI prime, so is an AI prime worth it? Will it be powerful enough for sps? What about a used one?
I don't know much about the AI primes. The first thing that stands out to me is the cooling fan. It is an additional mechanical source of noise and potential failure. The Tuna Blue cools by design of the shape with no moving parts. The AI PAR looks to be maybe double of the Tuna Blue, so I think it would be enough for SPS if the coral was at the top of the tank.

I have never used the AI Prime, make sure you get the "Reef" model.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update on my mushroom coral!

I am beyond happy with it's growth so far, and it's looking great in my tank!

When I got it:
20240225_133736.jpg

Now!! :D :

20240320_164241.jpg
Wow looks great!!! Have you stopped by the coral/fish shop yet? Or are you doing that this weekend?

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be some sort of sponge or tunicate given you said it was growing in a shaded area. Beautiful rock. I'd try to do something about that aiptasia in a tank this size though. It can take over real estate FAST if it establishes.

Also what's your current fish stocking list? I have a real soft spot for a goby pistol shrimp pairing. Here's my probably 7-8 year old ywg. Also threw in a photo of my old 16 inch clam. Sadly a filefish devoured it
1000004754.jpg
1000005195.jpg
Wow that YWG looks awesome! That's cool to hear you have him for so long!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a new light? I hate the one I have right now.

I wish I could get an AI prime, but it's 150% more then my tank, so that's not happening lol.
I mean, you could get a AI Prime, just try and find one used. I purchased one off of the R2R Marketplace, you can put a thread that you are looking for one. I paid around 150$ and replaced the lens on mine. You can even get the previous version of it. I like the interface/app for it.

Before the prime, I was considering an Illimagic Pixel light, for its price. Not sure how their app works, but I'm sure it can't be bad.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I will get a Randall's, but I won't be able to get one for a little bit, because I will have to order it online, and even though it's spring, it's snowing and 22F out so I would like to wait til the weathers in the 60s, so probably 2 or 3 weeks... Will that be ok?
My watchman has been hiding in a little cave I have most the time. He never jumped despite me stirring the sand and putting my hands in all the time. You should be fine.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about the AI primes. The first thing that stands out to me is the cooling fan. It is an additional mechanical source of noise and potential failure. The Tuna Blue cools by design of the shape with no moving parts. The AI PAR looks to be maybe double of the Tuna Blue, so I think it would be enough for SPS if the coral was at the top of the tank.

I have never used the AI Prime, make sure you get the "Reef" model.
I have the Prime in my bedroom. It's honestly fine, doesn't kick on much with my schedule. I don't even notice it anymore and it's not going to wake you up. It's basically a computer fan, and is very easily replaceable/cleanable if needed.

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your looking at lighting, I don't have any experience outside AI and Noo-P. I just got done playing with a par meter on my Noo-Psyche K-7 Mini. It is far from a perfect light, but a great budget option. Plenty of people here running this on our same tank is what made me try it. I am getting 150-200 par at the top of my scape at 35%, has some reflective hot spots in the front corners that are about 230 but most of the sand bed is about 80-100. It is a massive pain to get the wifi to work but seems good after that. I did not try past 50-60%, it will handle SPS no problem. Quite a bit more powerful than the AI I believe. Ease of control is what I am after, I'm happy with it but I am used to AI lighting and would be happier with the AI prime and the mobius app. I'm thinking about keep this until they go on sale or find a good used price but in no rush. This is only because I want what is familiar to me! Noo-Psyche website has them for $83.90, somewhere on R2R they have a promo code for 10-15% off that and mine came in less than 2 weeks.
AI Prime-App is user friendly and connecting is a breeze.
K-7 mini-Powerful, comes with mount arm, not as much control but enough. Believe its a glass lens so can't burn through like the AI. Wifi is 2.4, so getting it to connect is a massive pain. "I am technologically impaired"

Anyway just another option out there but there are many recent posts about the K-7 mini and mostly positives from what I have seen!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking at lighting, I don't have any experience outside AI and Noo-P. I just got done playing with a par meter on my Noo-Psyche K-7 Mini. It is far from a perfect light, but a great budget option. Plenty of people here running this on our same tank is what made me try it. I am getting 150-200 par at the top of my scape at 35%, has some reflective hot spots in the front corners that are about 230 but most of the sand bed is about 80-100. It is a massive pain to get the wifi to work but seems good after that. I did not try past 50-60%, it will handle SPS no problem. Quite a bit more powerful than the AI I believe. Ease of control is what I am after, I'm happy with it but I am used to AI lighting and would be happier with the AI prime and the mobius app. I'm thinking about keep this until they go on sale or find a good used price but in no rush. This is only because I want what is familiar to me! Noo-Psyche website has them for $83.90, somewhere on R2R they have a promo code for 10-15% off that and mine came in less than 2 weeks.
AI Prime-App is user friendly and connecting is a breeze.
K-7 mini-Powerful, comes with mount arm, not as much control but enough. Believe its a glass lens so can't burn through like the AI. Wifi is 2.4, so getting it to connect is a massive pain. "I am technologically impaired"

Anyway just another option out there but there are many recent posts about the K-7 mini and mostly positives from what I have seen!
Thanks, I will check it out!

That price is way better too!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from the coral place... And here's what I got!

First off, I didn't get a watchamn goby... Not sure why but he didn't have any, after telling me he did so I don't know lol.

Anyways, instead I got a beautiful tailspot blenny!

I haven't been able to get a good picture yet, because he's hiding, but I will post one as soon as I can!

Next, I got a hammer coral!!! Such a beauty!

20240323_145956.jpg

Now, here's the best part. This was all for only 60 bucks!!!!!

Also, my cleaner shrimp molted last night!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes for the power outage, hope it’s back on! Beautiful hammer, stepping it up! Can’t wait to see pics of your blenny, you’ve had quite an exciting day!
Yes, I have had a quite exciting day!

The power is still out. Trees are down everywhere.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from the coral place... And here's what I got!

First off, I didn't get a watchamn goby... Not sure why but he didn't have any, after telling me he did so I don't know lol.

Anyways, instead I got a beautiful tailspot blenny!

I haven't been able to get a good picture yet, because he's hiding, but I will post one as soon as I can!

Next, I got a hammer coral!!! Such a beauty!

20240323_145956.jpg

Now, here's the best part. This was all for only 60 bucks!!!!!

Also, my cleaner shrimp molted last night!
What a lovely hammer coral! Can't wait to get one myself! I've got to stop by my LFS this next week, haven't had the chance to go yet.

Can't wait to see your tailspot blenny as well! Pretty cool fish!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I just ordered a 150 dollar AI prime!
Awesome! Glad you got a decent deal, let me know if you have any questions or need help with the light! I recommend joining a Facebook group, such as the 'AI Prime/Hydra Reef Group. They have a lot of good looking schedules there that are very well made.

Also, how is your power situation? Is everything all good?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Glad you got a decent deal, let me know if you have any questions or need help with the light! I recommend joining a Facebook group, such as the 'AI Prime/Hydra Reef Group. They have a lot of good looking schedules there that are very well made.

Also, how is your power situation? Is everything all good?
Thanks, I will check it out.

Nope. Still not better. I do have a gas power generator, that I was able to get running before I went to bed last night.

I think there's like 549 outages, with over 80,000 people affected in my area, so I don't think the powers coming on any time soon.

The funny thing is, it was only supposed to rain yesterday, but instead we got a 1/4 inch of ice on everything, then 6 inches of snow.

Also, I struggle to get cellular data connections, so that's why I am not able to post often. I will try to update this when I can.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will check it out.

Nope. Still not better. I do have a gas power generator, that I was able to get running before I went to bed last night.

I think there's like 549 outages, with over 80,000 people affected in my area, so I don't think the powers coming on any time soon.

The funny thing is, it was only supposed to rain yesterday, but instead we got a 1/4 inch of ice on everything, then 6 inches of snow.

Also, I struggle to get cellular data connections, so that's why I am not able to post often. I will try to update this when I can.
Jeez, that's not good at all. Was there a storm or is it just the snow? Good thing you have a generator, definitely worth the investment. Stay safe

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back