Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.. very nice system
Any update on it?
Also I’m not sure if you already done it but I will try to block as much light from hitting the skimmer as it will grow coralline algae all over .
No updates as of yet. Money has been tight with Christmas around the corner. I did start a 2g jar reef however. Looks pretty good so far. I have a few things on order at BRS and I'll be getting those for Christmas like my new ATI lightbulbs, some biopellets, a couple powerheads.

Updates to come

OP
OP
Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that I did purchase a used sun system 6 bulb tek light for the mean time. I'll purchase a 60" ATI in the future. Maybe a couple hydra 52's. I havent made up my mind yet

OP
OP
Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I asked for 6 ATI bulbs for Christmas to put in my 6 bulb T5 Tek Light. Santa bought me 4 Blue+ and 2 Aquablue Specials. I went with the recommendation for ATI's website but I switched a purple+ for a Blue+ and that is how i came up with that combination. It looks nice. I like more blue and it is definitely blue. Might switch one to a Purple+ or a Coral+ in the future. Anyway, I put all 6 bulbs into the fixture and flipped the two switches. Only the center 4 bulbs turned on! So long story short, after a trip to the hardware store to pick up a replacement T5HO ballast all 6 bulbs work now.

And yes, I know its a 48" fixture on a 72" tank but I only plan on putting rock in the center of the tank for a minimalist look. I'll stack Marinepur blocks in the sump for the bio filter.

I also picked up a 2x6 and screwed it to the rafters in the basement to hang my light fixture. Bought some turnbuckles and some chain and hung it up. It turned out really nice! Now all I have left to do is purchase an ATO and a dosing pump and she will be ready to rock and roll! Still deciding on weather or not I want to pick up a UV sterilizer or not...

I spoke to my LFS owner about getting 200 gallons of RO water from him for the initial fill and he said as long as I gave him a few day heads up he could make some up for me. Its either that or an RO unit. I never planned on getting one. I eventually want to run this system as a no water change Triton system. At least that is the plan anyway.

I'll post pictures in a minute.

Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181224_154427.jpeg
20181224_154433.jpeg
20181224_154456.jpeg

OP
OP
Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tank update

I've purchased a couple things since the last update. I bought the 120lbs of Caribsea Bahamas Oolite and 20lbs of Aragonite. I will probably buy another 20lbs of Oolite before I put it all in the tank. I don't want too deep of a sand bed, probably around 1.5 inches or less.
I also purchased a 3 chamber Coral Box Dosing container. I went with this one because it kept my blue/orange theme. I think it looks pretty good sitting there. Bought the blue airline tubing for the same reason.
I've also put 90lbs of rock in the tank. This is all I will be putting in it because I really appreciate the minimalist look. like I said in a previous post ill be placing Marinepur in the sump area for more biological filtration. This is the rock scape that I decided on. I went with this scape to keep it all under the 48" light fixture that I have.

I have since ordered a Bashsea Pellet master bio-pellet reactor. I like the Bashsea the best because it matched my blue/orange color scheme like everything else. Ill post a picture once that is installed in the sump.

Until next time!

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

OP
OP
Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.
I received my bashsea pellet master in the mail today. I'll pipe it up tomorrow and post a pic!

OP
OP
Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update:
The tank has been full and cycled for a few weeks now. The current stock is 3 blue/green chromis, 1 royal Gramma and 1 lemonpeel angel so far. I added an inkbird temperature controller. Turns out the 2 250w eheim heaters I have are struggling to keep the tank at 78*. I'll most likely be purchasing a 300w to replace one of the 250's and keep it for a backup.

OP
OP
Nanosheriff10

Nanosheriff10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update:
The tank has been full and cycled for a few weeks now. The current stock is 3 blue/green chromis, 1 royal Gramma and 1 lemonpeel angel so far. I added an inkbird temperature controller. Turns out the 2 250w eheim heaters I have are struggling to keep the tank at 78*. I'll most likely be purchasing a 300w to replace one of the 250's and keep it for a backup.
A couple pictures. The skimmer is working great too and pulling all kinds of gunk out of the water.
20190504_140351.jpeg
20190504_140403.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 30 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back