My 180 RR build

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Coralsdaily

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2014
Messages
896
Reaction score
986
Location
Madison WI
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this project last November. It's still a work of progress to where I want it to be but I am starting this to document.
Prior to the 180 acquisition I had a 92G Corner and a 75G set up. The objective was to combine everything from the two into this.
IMG_3629.jpg

Here is painting the back of the tank with a mix of black and navy blue latex paint. Tank on the left is my 28G seahorse species tank.
IMG_3630.jpg

The stand, with a 75 Gallon sitting inside to be used as sump.
IMG_3672.jpg

The original owner of this tank and stand had a FWLRO system and the stand was originally 9' long with a built in sump. The front of the stand (now) was once the "back" of the stand and the original owner left the bottom of the stand completely empty at the time. I am reversing the stand and will be finishing up the trim and board-work for what's now the "front" of the stand. I have also drilled holes on what was once the front of the tank to run wires.
 
The next project is building the canopy to hang my lights
IMG_4057.jpg

It's winter time in Wisconsin and the outside temperature is constantly below freezing. Unfortunately I don't have a heated garage/workshop. My plan is to build the framing and leave the structure in its "skeleton" condition until weather gets better to finish up the painting and varnishing of the covers.
IMG_4059.jpg

I am using a conventional LED unit from hardware store as my light source for the sump/refugium in the bottom. Also I have built a customize separator as I am not a big fan of the baffle system.
IMG_4063.jpg

I will be using these 3 Chinese made LED lights for illumination of the main DT. For circulation I will use 2X Mag7 for return pump and a Jecod FS14000 wave maker for water movement. 2X 200W heater in the sump. And ReefOctopus skimmer for waste removal. The tank's glass surface is dirty from the residual salt creep while cleaning up the tank.
 
Following. Question on the return flow, is to mag 7 enough or are they correct for the RR drains?
 
Following. Question on the return flow, is to mag 7 enough or are they correct for the RR drains?
I think you should be fine with two Mag 7 on this. return rate in general is over rated, in fact, you don't want too much return before water gets proper chance to go through filtration cycle in the sump.
 
After three months the tank is finally settling down. Here is a video of the tank
[video=youtube;qc6c9ewReTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6c9ewReTA[/video]
The tank went through a period of distress due to the blue tang brought in disease to the tank. I lost a few fish due to it.
 
Very nice! Great job!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new