My 180 RR build

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this project last November. It's still a work of progress to where I want it to be but I am starting this to document.
Prior to the 180 acquisition I had a 92G Corner and a 75G set up. The objective was to combine everything from the two into this.
IMG_3629.jpg

Here is painting the back of the tank with a mix of black and navy blue latex paint. Tank on the left is my 28G seahorse species tank.
IMG_3630.jpg

The stand, with a 75 Gallon sitting inside to be used as sump.
IMG_3672.jpg

The original owner of this tank and stand had a FWLRO system and the stand was originally 9' long with a built in sump. The front of the stand (now) was once the "back" of the stand and the original owner left the bottom of the stand completely empty at the time. I am reversing the stand and will be finishing up the trim and board-work for what's now the "front" of the stand. I have also drilled holes on what was once the front of the tank to run wires.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next project is building the canopy to hang my lights
IMG_4057.jpg

It's winter time in Wisconsin and the outside temperature is constantly below freezing. Unfortunately I don't have a heated garage/workshop. My plan is to build the framing and leave the structure in its "skeleton" condition until weather gets better to finish up the painting and varnishing of the covers.
IMG_4059.jpg

I am using a conventional LED unit from hardware store as my light source for the sump/refugium in the bottom. Also I have built a customize separator as I am not a big fan of the baffle system.
IMG_4063.jpg

I will be using these 3 Chinese made LED lights for illumination of the main DT. For circulation I will use 2X Mag7 for return pump and a Jecod FS14000 wave maker for water movement. 2X 200W heater in the sump. And ReefOctopus skimmer for waste removal. The tank's glass surface is dirty from the residual salt creep while cleaning up the tank.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Question on the return flow, is to mag 7 enough or are they correct for the RR drains?

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Question on the return flow, is to mag 7 enough or are they correct for the RR drains?
I think you should be fine with two Mag 7 on this. return rate in general is over rated, in fact, you don't want too much return before water gets proper chance to go through filtration cycle in the sump.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After three months the tank is finally settling down. Here is a video of the tank
[video=youtube;qc6c9ewReTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6c9ewReTA[/video]
The tank went through a period of distress due to the blue tang brought in disease to the tank. I lost a few fish due to it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! Great job!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%

Back