OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd I mean it doesn’t cure it over night but in a month mine were gone urs are pretty big u might have to get the adults
That pic was just before breakdown... 3.5 months after nudis went in. It looked like they were eating them up every couple days i would see less aiptasia than one day. I searched and searched with flashlight and only found one. A couple days later it to was gone. A month went by and I saw little tiny aiptasia everywhere. As they grew i became less intrested in how to deal with them. I just let everything go and planned for the breakdown. Its pretty discouraging at this time I would have thought I would be maintaining a stable growing system, but im starting over.
Maybe next year

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is disheartening but if you stick to your guns u will eventually have a tank that you will enjoy and appreciate more because of the trouble you are going thru now

Remember this is a hobby if you had a tank on auto pilot it would just me a moving picture. I think that’s the reason in this hobby we always try to upgrade once we get complacent it no longer is a fun hobby

My rant for the year

Stick with it you obviously care so learn from your mistakes and make the next installment of this tank the best version possible so you can upgrade or add a frag tank in two years

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in this hobby ever really goes exactly the way you plan, close but everything or change made has an aftermath. Sometimes its good sometimes bad. Success is the prize or pride of being able to respond to emerging challenges and maintain a stable system.
We are in the business of water processing and treatment. The benifet of good husbandry is all our marine life flourishes.
This is my 6th system in 35 years the plan is for this one to be up for a while as well.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update to say I'm still here....
It's been over a year and and the restart was awesome! I ended up acid and bleaching all the rock before pressure washing it clean. The tank sat dry for about 3-4 weeks before adding water. Don't know if it was necessary but I filled it with fresh water for about 2 weeks before adding in salt. My thought was maybe the fresh water would kill any aiptasia left in the pipes, overflow, or sump. Not sure if that helped or not. But I was concerned that there would be at least one somewhere in a pipe with residual water that would come back. Anyway, I have not had any signs of them since the restart.
Another cool thing was that for some unknown reason I never had an ugly stage? No nuisance algea or diatoms at all. The rocks turned a dark green the first month and was quickly taken over by coraline. Can't explain it but super happy with the results.
Currently there are a pretty good amount of frags in the tank all doing well.
Here a fts of today and I'll start adding to this thread periodically as things evolve.
20200615_121310.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. I got aptasia and am currently on my second round of berghia. I don't know if I could do a reboot after all I've poured into the tank, but it sounds like you made the right choice. Keep us updated.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great height! I made my rocks too tall. that's what a tank should look like, purple and no algae!

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started restocking the system with some corals and am happy to be seeing nice growth. Here are some new additions all doing well.
This 3 pack from LRO showed in good condition and and are doing good.
Screenshot_20200318-110338_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200318-110342_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200318-110334_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pack from Battlecorals has only been in the system since Tuesday, but looking good. It includes the fallowing plus an unknown 4color rapture I'm pretty excited about.
Screenshot_20200615-200122_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-202350_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-151602_Samsung Internet.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back