My 180 under Evergrow IT2040 LED fixtures

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the light on the frag tank looks really nice!

Lookin' good Tyler; you 'da man! :clap2:

BTW, does this qualify as a hijack Tomoko?

images

+25

Do all the people who stated looking good!!!!!

If talking with Tyler does not, putting the Wiki4Games advertisement sure does.
LOL thanks guys and sorry for the hijack Tomoko. Maybe next time I am up that way I can come by and see your new lights in person Tomoko? If you are ever in Birmingham feel free to come by and check out my setup in person and maybe pick up a frag or two.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe next time I am up that way I can come by and see your new lights in person Tomoko?

Sure! Anytime you want to come by, just let me know :)

If you are ever in Birmingham feel free to come by and check out my setup in person and maybe pick up a frag or two.

I would love to see your setup for sure :) Maybe we can trade some frags. I come to Birmingham every so often to see my son and daughter. I will give you a shout when I do.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! I am going to be jealous if you get a fourth fixture :)

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Trish :)

I think I need another fixture since my tank is bigger than yours. It's just the ends of the tank are a bit dimmer looking than I want. Although the big frogspawn and the montipora capricornis at the left and right ends of the tank don't seem to be affected much at all from the lower light level, I know that the frogspawn would look much prettier if it received a bit more light.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to mention that while we were gone over Christmas we must have had a power outage because the settings I had under "custom" were gone and the lights were running on the settings the factory put under custom. None of my corals looked any worse for wear so I just left it alone.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must take at least a few minutes of power outage to reset the setting to default. I disconnected the light fixtures from the power cords a few times to rearrange the plug on a different power strip, and my custom settings are still the same and working okay.

The clock on one of the three units stopped working shortly after I mounted the lights over the tank. It stuck and won't advance at all. I tried all sorts of things to get the clock going to no avail. So I decided to advance the clock to noon (90 percent on both channels) and put it on a timer to come on at 15:00 and turn off at 21:00 (like my old MH lamps.) Then, while I was putting the faulty unit on a timer, I turned it on and off a few times to make sure that it held the setting after the light kicked on again. Then, all of a sudden the faulty clock started advancing on its own again. It's been working for a few days now. I hope the clock will keep working. I've informed Rick about the problem as soon as it happened, but since the clock is working now, we are just monitoring it.

Last edited:

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that your's don't reset. On mine it takes less than a second for the custom settings to go back to default. If I accidentally bumped the cord on one of mine it would lose power and instantly regain power and would still go back to default. I put teflon tape on the male end of the plug and it stays connected now.

Going back to default after an interruption in power is not a big deal now that my corals have acclimated to the higher settings but it is inconvenient.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I like to watch my tank when I am home from work in the evening, the default setting would not work well for me. If I were you, I'd talk to Rick about it. It is really inconvenient to have to keep changing the setting.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow it resets after a power outage? that is such a simple fix in todays electronics. I am surprised they didn't do anything about this.

TK0321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to mention that while we were gone over Christmas we must have had a power outage because the settings I had under "custom" were gone and the lights were running on the settings the factory put under custom. None of my corals looked any worse for wear so I just left it alone.

I am running a 2080 over my current set up. The key is making sure you hit save for every time increment when you are setting up your custom lighting. If you don't hit save on every one it will go back to default. Sorry for the small hijack!

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 2080 over my current set up. The key is making sure you hit save for every time increment when you are setting up your custom lighting. If you don't hit save on every one it will go back to default. Sorry for the small hijack!

Perhaps this is my fix.

Tomoko did you hit OKAY after every single setting?

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I like to watch my tank when I am home from work in the evening, the default setting would not work well for me. If I were you, I'd talk to Rick about it. It is really inconvenient to have to keep changing the setting.

Exactly. I had my lighting period start late in the day so that the tank looks great when Richard gets home after work.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not press okay each time, just at the end. Oh well, looks like I will be setting all my custom times....again

Actually, I will be setting a couple of the time settings on one fixture and then unplugging it to see if it makes a difference. I can be taught :)

Last edited:

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my lights and even if I press the okay button each time they still go back to default settings with a one second interruption in power. I called Rick and he is contacting the manufacturer as he agrees this is not normal.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joejoe,

My tank is doing well. I still like the lights :) I am turing the white light level down though since some of my SPS's started looking a bit paler than I liked and some LPS's on the ground seemed like they were getting a bit too much light. It's been more than a month since I brought it down by 10%. The major it of my corals look good. There are still a few that look like they are getting too much. I might bring it down a tiny bit more. I took Lux reading before I installed the lights. Although my Metal Halide lamps had much higher Lux readings, my corals seem to be telling me otherwise... Overall I like my LED lights very much.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joejoe,

My tank is doing well. I still like the lights :) I am turing the white light level down though since some of my SPS's started looking a bit paler than I liked and some LPS's on the ground seemed like they were getting a bit too much light. It's been more than a month since I brought it down by 10%. The major it of my corals look good. There are still a few that look like they are getting too much. I might bring it down a tiny bit more. I took Lux reading before I installed the lights. Although my Metal Halide lamps had much higher Lux readings, my corals seem to be telling me otherwise... Overall I like my LED lights very much.
Its interesting that you are having the too much light but not enough light issue. I had a similar issue and that is when I through in some T5's too. I dont know if it was the T5's or the tank maturing but the colors eventually came around in my current tank.

Back