My 210 gallon nothing speial aquarium!

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figured I would post a pic of my aquarium since I am new to the forum. The stand isn't totally finished yet. I am waiting to see if I am going to keep this extremely loud 75 gallon sump or if I can find a way to quiet it down enough to keep it or maybe someone has suggestions for me. The sump is a little different now since the picture was taken. The compartment on the far right is about 17" of water flowing into about 10" of water so the waterfall effect is loud as can be.

IMG_0011.JPG

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't make out the drain area of the sump very well from that picture, is that whats making the noise?
BTW welcome to reef2reef!!

OP
OP
R

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I updated it. The center section is for the skimmer obviously.
IMG_0024.JPG

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you can do to quite the crashing noise of the drain is to have it emptying into a filter sock, some ppl go sockless and have it draining into liverock rubble, either work.

OP
OP
R

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's when it's coming from the far right to the skimmer compartment is the issue. I found a foam block that works for one side kind of so I need to maybe just find one for the other side also?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's when it's coming from the far right to the skimmer compartment is the issue. I found a foam block that works for one side kind of so I need to maybe just find one for the other side also?
won't really help you with the way that the sump is configured, it might quiet it down a bit but, you still have a long drop to the water below it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. With the doors and sides on the openings it will be a lot better. It was my first time designing a sump once I got this new skimmer in there. I'm tempted to get a smaller skimmer so I can get a new sump. This skimmer really limits the sump designs out there since the one I have is 12" diameter body and two pumps on it. I'm so indecisive I have no idea what to do lol

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that reducing the flow through the sump by turning down the return pump helps a lot with the noise. I also slightly restrict the flow from the return into the sump.

OP
OP
R

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that this morning. It definitely helped but tank turnover isn't quite as good that way obviously. I should have just designed it differently but I didn't know how everything was going to be effected by everything else.

Zuuu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try adding a piece of plastic (red on picture) to make a slope for waterfall. That way the water would flow instead of falling. The bigger the angle - the quieter it should be. Important thing is that the end should be in the water, so length depends on the water level you have in return section.

sump.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of how I have it now. I designed it stupid. I'm going to be getting a new sump in the near future with an external water pump.

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem but it is hardly noticeable with the dc return pump at something less than the max setting. I am also considering another divider that would cut the fall in half. The mp40 is luoder at times so that needs an upgrade too.

OP
OP
R

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a couple blocks of thick foam so the water falls into that. I have a jebao dc12000 on my tank also. I have the rw20 on my system right now while I wait for new propellers for my gyre. Then I will probably use both. I can't add another section because I only made it about an inch and a half bigger then my skimmer so I can work on it fairly easily.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back