OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! a bit of un update had a rough patch with some corals starting to STN and have poor PE. Did a ICP test that showed tin and a lack of iodine, so i figured it was my salt aka TM pro. Tossed in some Purit from BW and started to dose 7 drops of Lugols iodine per day for 2 weeks then 2 drops daily and thing have started to tur around! STN has stopped and PE is back in full strength, the tissue that was lost has grown back and started to encrust!!! wooot finally. Ph has been an issue in my house since day 1, even with a scrubber I peak at 8.02 low of 7.6 and I know that low but nothing I can do about it for now. the house is newer so it traps C02 like no other. I will be removing the Purit in a month or so just want to keep it in there for now, then we will see how thing go. but here are the tests for today

PH 8.01
Alk 8.6
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 25
Phos .09
cal 435
mag 1340
pc rainbow true color.jpg
WD.jpg
noname 2.jpg
sunburst monti.jpg

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some more sticks today will post some pics tomorrow once they settle in, TGC Inner Core, Vivid Confetti, RR Pink Floyd, Tyree Pink Lemonade! I am soooo happy I can start my stick collection again!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wanted to report the JBJ45 is no more I just dont have the time for it so i moved all the coral over to the big tank and sold the fish beside the clowns they moved to the big tank. All of my focus is on the big tank... I have been dosing 1000ml of Kalk every night off the DOS to keep ALK at 8.5-8.6 so far so good! The only additional thing i dose is Acropower once a week at half the recommended dosage and Lugols at 2 drops a day

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright where do I even start haha..... well now I got a little busy with life and was not able to tend to the tank as needed and she suffered for it. My nutrients ended up bottoming out and the dreaded DINO came in and took over..... I ended up identifying the Dinos to be the Ostreopsis so with that I tried to do a 3 day lights off so they could get into the water column for my UV to do its work . In that time my 6line Wrasse got stuck in the rock work and died and my Scopas tang and purple tang decided to gang up on the yellow so yah lost 2 fish from the black out..... Lost the Lobo, inner core, pc rainbow, and vivid confetti sad sad sad days.... But I did not throw in the towel, so I dosed Sodium Nitrate to get my nitrates up even though I feed 3 times a day and heavy, and I dosed Trisodium Phosphate. got my Nitrates up to 70 ppm and its been been going down slowly target it 20-25 and Phosphates were at .70 for about a month till I saw that the Dinos started to get out competed by algae. I added GFO in a pouch and set in a high flow area for passive reduction in Phosphates, in a weeks time it has gone down to .62 target is .15-.2. I stopped Kalk dosing when I saw the Dinos since I knew the corals would not use much when they hurting haha so ALK has been steady at 8.8-9. But in the last 2 months things have started to look up and now I have beat Dinos and am battling Cyano but who cares about Cyano I know I dont. So no Chemiclean just going to blow it off weekly and let nature do its thing with that. The fish that did make it are all fat and happy and the corals that did survive are now blowing up and coloring back up nicely. Walt D almost did not make it but is starting to show polyp extension and started to color back up while shooting out some new nubs. The tank is now 1year old and hitting a stable point going to be adding new corals in once or twice a month and I am planning on getting a leopard wrasse and melanurus Wrasse on my Bday March 9th. Oh and I caved in and added a sandbed just to help stabilize the tank. here come some pics

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimmer
green slimmer.jpg

JF Haterade new frag
JF Haterade.jpg

Miyagi tort got hit hard but coming back
miyagi 250 par.jpg

No name
no name.jpg

Pink Lemonade coloring up nice and has really started to encrust
pink lemonade.jpg

Sunset Monti this thing has just blown up and grown a ton
sunset monti.jpg

TCK Pikachu has encrusted a lot and have 5 new nubs
TCK Pika.jpg

Walt D almost died but now is coloring back up and PE is slowly coming back
Walt D.jpg

WWC Grafted Monti new frag
WWC Grafted monti.jpg

WWC Yellow tips this thing has really colored up and grown a lot
WWC yellow tips.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright where do I even start haha..... well now I got a little busy with life and was not able to tend to the tank as needed and she suffered for it. My nutrients ended up bottoming out and the dreaded DINO came in and took over..... I ended up identifying the Dinos to be the Ostreopsis so with that I tried to do a 3 day lights off so they could get into the water column for my UV to do its work . In that time my 6line Wrasse got stuck in the rock work and died and my Scopas tang and purple tang decided to gang up on the yellow so yah lost 2 fish from the black out..... Lost the Lobo, inner core, pc rainbow, and vivid confetti sad sad sad days.... But I did not throw in the towel, so I dosed Sodium Nitrate to get my nitrates up even though I feed 3 times a day and heavy, and I dosed Trisodium Phosphate. got my Nitrates up to 70 ppm and its been been going down slowly target it 20-25 and Phosphates were at .70 for about a month till I saw that the Dinos started to get out competed by algae. I added GFO in a pouch and set in a high flow area for passive reduction in Phosphates, in a weeks time it has gone down to .62 target is .15-.2. I stopped Kalk dosing when I saw the Dinos since I knew the corals would not use much when they hurting haha so ALK has been steady at 8.8-9. But in the last 2 months things have started to look up and now I have beat Dinos and am battling Cyano but who cares about Cyano I know I dont. So no Chemiclean just going to blow it off weekly and let nature do its thing with that. The fish that did make it are all fat and happy and the corals that did survive are now blowing up and coloring back up nicely. Walt D almost did not make it but is starting to show polyp extension and started to color back up while shooting out some new nubs. The tank is now 1year old and hitting a stable point going to be adding new corals in once or twice a month and I am planning on getting a leopard wrasse and melanurus Wrasse on my Bday March 9th. Oh and I caved in and added a sandbed just to help stabilize the tank. here come some pics
Crap happens fast when hands off the wheel, but, you certainly have taken excellent action to put in recovery mode.
Sandbed, super idea with large surface area for the good stuff to live.
Some really nice corals in the pics.
Good luck.

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice thread you’ve got here! Sorry for the tough times. Hope things work out better. Any pics of the melanarus? Nice monti. I’ll be following :)
Not yet as he just got ordered and will be going through QT so in maybe 4-5 weeks haha and thanks for the follow!

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap happens fast when hands off the wheel, but, you certainly have taken excellent action to put in recovery mode.
Sandbed, super idea with large surface area for the good stuff to live.
Some really nice corals in the pics.
Good luck.
Thank you very much, I am testing stuff weekly and going to stay on top of it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it :rolleyes: I did that and going through the troubles right now
Been there. Paid the price. I automated most everything cause nobody really “likes” maintenance (I think) it’s not overly fun IMM.
We all been there at some point.
Bounce her back.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I am testing stuff weekly and going to stay on top of it.
Testing weekly!
Fantastic!
Record those results and look for fluxes.
Testing is vital until we get her running smoothly and rock solid, then we can increase the frequency.
I measure alk at least weekly, 5 years in, others, monthly.
Enjoy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back