My 215g SPS reef build!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked for me.
From 50 to 5-10ppm but over 6 months. Dose increased by 1ml increment’s semi monthly until I could “freeze” that nitrate number at 15-20 ish, then maintained that dose for a year. When my nitrates started a downward trend towards 5ppm, I reduced the carbon dose weekly by 1ml until 0ppm.
I have not required any for 3 ish years now, likes to rerun 3-5ppm in heavy stocked LPS and SPS tank.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimmer
green slimmer.jpg

JF Haterade new frag
JF Haterade.jpg

Miyagi tort got hit hard but coming back
miyagi 250 par.jpg

No name
no name.jpg

Pink Lemonade coloring up nice and has really started to encrust
pink lemonade.jpg

Sunset Monti this thing has just blown up and grown a ton
sunset monti.jpg

TCK Pikachu has encrusted a lot and have 5 new nubs
TCK Pika.jpg

Walt D almost died but now is coloring back up and PE is slowly coming back
Walt D.jpg

WWC Grafted Monti new frag
WWC Grafted monti.jpg

WWC Yellow tips this thing has really colored up and grown a lot
WWC yellow tips.jpg
Coral looks really good!!

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling to keep my PH up since I set up this tank, I'm in a newer house so it keeps in lots of C02 and its just been rough. Even with a jumbo C02 scrubber with me changing the media every 2 weeks my PH never went above 8 and at night it dropped as low as 7.6..... Well I decided to just run my air line outside yesterday and omg what a huge difference!!!!! last night my PH went down to 7.93 and today its already up to 8.24 and its not even the end of the lighting peak so I think might get to 8.27 hopefully by today and maybe 8.3+ by tomorrow. Since the PH is now much higher I will be doing ALK testing every day just to make sure it does not drop!!

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, its been a while!! Man my battle with Coolia has been rough and long and still not 100% gone but no longer is it affecting my tank or corals!!! I was not able to get rid of them even with elevated Nitrates and phosphates, and was kinda loosing hope but then I thought about it and I could not figure out why my Cheato would not grow well even with nutrients... IRON was the key, I have been dosing Iron on a weekly basis and there has been a huge turn around in the micro fauna and health of the tank everything looks great and has taken off!! I have been running Kalk for a while and its working magic on my alk and PH, I am up to 5000ml every night and it has pegged my alk at 8.3. Corlas are all almost back to full color and health and the growth has been amazing . I have had a huge explosion of sponge growth ( Yellow, White ), I have been testing weekly for Nitrate Phos and alk. here are some parameters and photos!

Temp 81-82
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.1-8.3
Alk 8.3
Cal 410
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 25
Phos .15
Mag 1360

Last edited:

preerecord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright where do I even start haha..... well now I got a little busy with life and was not able to tend to the tank as needed and she suffered for it. My nutrients ended up bottoming out and the dreaded DINO came in and took over..... I ended up identifying the Dinos to be the Ostreopsis so with that I tried to do a 3 day lights off so they could get into the water column for my UV to do its work . In that time my 6line Wrasse got stuck in the rock work and died and my Scopas tang and purple tang decided to gang up on the yellow so yah lost 2 fish from the black out..... Lost the Lobo, inner core, pc rainbow, and vivid confetti sad sad sad days.... But I did not throw in the towel, so I dosed Sodium Nitrate to get my nitrates up even though I feed 3 times a day and heavy, and I dosed Trisodium Phosphate. got my Nitrates up to 70 ppm and its been been going down slowly target it 20-25 and Phosphates were at .70 for about a month till I saw that the Dinos started to get out competed by algae. I added GFO in a pouch and set in a high flow area for passive reduction in Phosphates, in a weeks time it has gone down to .62 target is .15-.2. I stopped Kalk dosing when I saw the Dinos since I knew the corals would not use much when they hurting haha so ALK has been steady at 8.8-9. But in the last 2 months things have started to look up and now I have beat Dinos and am battling Cyano but who cares about Cyano I know I dont. So no Chemiclean just going to blow it off weekly and let nature do its thing with that. The fish that did make it are all fat and happy and the corals that did survive are now blowing up and coloring back up nicely. Walt D almost did not make it but is starting to show polyp extension and started to color back up while shooting out some new nubs. The tank is now 1year old and hitting a stable point going to be adding new corals in once or twice a month and I am planning on getting a leopard wrasse and melanurus Wrasse on my Bday March 9th. Oh and I caved in and added a sandbed just to help stabilize the tank. here come some pics
Reading this thread, we share the same BDAY. Following....Would love to know from start, when did you add your first coral?

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this thread, we share the same BDAY. Following....Would love to know from start, when did you add your first coral?
Haha that's awesome that's now 2 people that I know who share my Bday! And the 1st two frags went in May of 2022. But I have been fighting Dinoflagellets for about 6 months, the Corals truly started to grow the last 2-3 months. It's been a rough start but I just kept on and I think I got it under control now

preerecord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that's awesome that's now 2 people that I know who share my Bday! And the 1st two frags went in May of 2022. But I have been fighting Dinoflagellets for about 6 months, the Corals truly started to grow the last 2-3 months. It's been a rough start but I just kept on and I think I got it under control now
The reason I was asking is I moved and ended up getting live rock and media from a few friends until I move my main rock and corals.
I just threw some frags in and already the tank has diatoms. I threw in a few mollies and will transfer to a 75g then in about 2 weeks bringing all my rocks and corals into that system until December when hopefully I can get another big tank. Then I will move my fish from OT to the new place. I did a few things to jumpstart and wanted to know more about your process. Thanks so much and I beat Dino’s awhile back with just keeping nutrients up and manually blowing into the water column and letting a rather large UV handle it.

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from a 5 day vacation and thank god nothing died or happened just the glass was really dirty but nothing more! so here are some update pics!

parameters are as followed

Temp 81-82
Salinity 35-35.5
Ph 8.3-8.48 Night/Day
Alk 8.5-9
Cal 410
Mag 1350
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Phos .15-.2

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back