My 240 Gallon Build Thread

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did u go 80/20 when u could have saved a ton and gone with a wood stand knowing u were going to Sheetrock over it?

Looks like the drain is 1 inch pvc?

Looks very nice btw very clean set up so far

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great!!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you thought about putting the sump not under the tank best thing I ever did

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did u go 80/20 when u could have saved a ton and gone with a wood stand knowing u were going to Sheetrock over it?
I'm basically going on suggestions from my LFS who is doing the work. Now that you say that I'm kind of wondering the same thing.

Yes, 1" PVC.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do u live?
Is the lfs going to be doing all the maintaince on it? Or are you?
If you are I would ask the lfs to move the sump from under the tank so much easier and saves the back

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do u live?
Is the lfs going to be doing all the maintaince on it? Or are you?
If you are I would ask the lfs to move the sump from under the tank so much easier and saves the back
I live in Ohio. I do all the maintenance on my tank. I wish I had thought about this earlier so I could have mentioned it to the guy.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Ohio. I do all the maintenance on my tank. I wish I had thought about this earlier so I could have mentioned it to the guy.
You know Tim? Aquavista?

If there isn’t water in the system now is the time to change it. Even tho it might cost a little bit more money it will be worth it to move it. Instead of 20 years of bending down under the tank. Plus if you find it hard to do maintainanance on the tank you will be less likely to do it. And if you don’t enjoy doing it the tank will not look the best then u you have an ugly tank then you don’t enjoy the hobby as much as you should.
I only am speaking from experience the best thing I ever did was move my sump to a remote location
Whatever you choose tho the tank still looks amazing I don’t want you to think that I am questioning ur decisions just trying to help u not go thru the same bs I went thru as that’s a big tank.

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know Tim? Aquavista?

If there isn’t water in the system now is the time to change it. Even tho it might cost a little bit more money it will be worth it to move it. Instead of 20 years of bending down under the tank. Plus if you find it hard to do maintainanance on the tank you will be less likely to do it. And if you don’t enjoy doing it the tank will not look the best then u you have an ugly tank then you don’t enjoy the hobby as much as you should.
I only am speaking from experience the best thing I ever did was move my sump to a remote location
Whatever you choose tho the tank still looks amazing I don’t want you to think that I am questioning ur decisions just trying to help u not go thru the same crap I went thru as that’s a big tank.
I don't know Tim. I did talk to the LFS doing the install and he agrees moving it somewhere else would be a good idea but also stated there really isn't much room to do this. He's right. Maybe I'll rent a small storage unit to store some of my stuff to make room for it. I'm still thinking on this but you're right. I'm already older and have a hard time bending down in my current tank. Hmmm......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as far as the humidity, I did talk to the guy doing the install and he agreed it could be a problem so I'm going to get a dehumidifier to run and see how that goes before doing anything more drastic (like a vent to the outside). @Jmblec2 Thanks for bringing this up!

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some of the goodies I ordered.

IMG_20200113_182452.jpg

What's left to come is the following:

Neptune Apex Package - With WiFi
Neptune COR-20 Pump (only one received)
75 Gallon Water Tank × 2
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt 200g Bag
Kessil A360 Control Extension Cable
Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue × 4
Kessil H80 Tuna Sun Flora
Vertex RX-U 2.5L Media Reactor × 2

OP
OP
Brian Drab

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, a few more things were installed.

AquaMaxx ConeS CO-5 In-Sump Protein Skimmer
IMG_20200113_182003.jpg

One Neptune COR-20 Pump for the return.
Finnex 800w+ Titanium Heater Element

A backer board that was painted the same color as the walls to use for mounting the APEX equipment.
IMG_20200114_103334.jpg

Lastly, final sanding was done and the walls are being primed right now to get ready for some paint.
IMG_20200114_103403.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back