My 90G build & 14 month progress!

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running now for a little over a year and this my build from start to now.

So I got out of the hobby some years back due to moving and now that we are grounded my wife talked me into starting another tank. She now regrets releasing the Kraken!;Vamp

Due to the location of the tank in our new house I was only able to go with a 90G (Aqueon reef ready). So the wheels are turning and this time around I wanted to make a setup that was sleek and easily accessible.
f6.jpg

I added a side compartment with access door for all the electronics. Which I would then drill a few holes to run wires and used rubber desk grommets to clean up the wires. Looking back now, I should have added a few more holes to run wires because reaching behind the sump is a little tricky.
d6.jpg

Added vent screens for circulation on each end and in the back.
d3.jpg

P004_121_002_010_LRG.01062018023038.jpg

Got it all painted up. After caulking all the inside gaps I went with a marine topside boat paint from my local marine store. I highly recommend this paint for any saltwater application. It's water proof and easily wipes away water. Just give the paint about a week to fully dry. Also went with all stainless steel hardware including stainless steel piano hinges for the doors. I figured I would pay for it now rather then replacing them over and over. I added door matte material to the bottom to help cancel any vibration noise.
f3.jpg

I was going to use a left over trigger sump (crystal 30) I had from an older tank but looking at the water volume to tank size I needed to go a little bigger, bigger is better! I switched it out with a trigger Ruby 36 to add more water volume. Doing so sacrificed space below.
f8.jpg

When building the manifold I incorporated inline ports for GFO/Carbon canisters to utilizing the return pump flow. This way I didn't have to use more pumps/power outlets. I went with a Reef Octopus varois8 return pump to ensure enough flow to handle the turn over plus manifold ports. Easier to dial it down than up! This VarioS DC pump is supper quiet. Also for "Oh S*@t" measures, I added a check valve and as many unions as I could. I did run into an issue with where the tank was located. As you can see in the picture below & above, the electrical out let is right behind the tank:eek:. I didn't have options. So to make me sleep better at night I installed a recess wall outlet and cut out a section on the back of the stand for quick access. To go even further, I installed a GFI circuit breaker at the electrical box.
f5.jpg

running Apex 2016, 2 Gyre XF 250's, VarioS 8 dc return, Finnex Titanium heater, Reef Octopus 150 skimmer, and newly added DOS. The side electrical compartment has come in handy for easy control access. Used some computer cord management to keep it clean.

t5.jpg

For the over flow I wanted to try something different to help reduce noise. So I went with the Maggie Muffler. I figured I could always switch back if not but this thing works awesome. Super quite and allows me easy access to the drain pipe for cleaning.
mag float.jpg

For the aquascape I wanted to go with a pillar or island look to give more open area for flow and coral growth. The rock is BRS Pukani. I thought I would try something different and after reading the reviews on pukani I made sure to cure it a couple months ahead of time. The long cure did help down the road when it came to algae issues that pukani is know for. So far I really have had no issue at all.
o5.jpg

Let the cycle begin! I cycled it with the dead shrimp method and after a few weeks I was in business.
Luckily I hung onto some of my equipment from previous tanks and was able to reuse my Reef Octopus classic 150 skimmer. It pays to keep your pumps clean!

Coming from the older generation of MH lighting I was a little skeptical of trying LED's but with MH lighting comes fans and chillers ($$$). I figured I would see what all the crave is about and give LED's a try. I was able to get a used set of AI hydra 52's cheap and yes, they crapped out on me 6 months in;Dead. AI was cool and replaced them with 2 new hydra 52 HD's at a discounted price. That's what I get for trying to cut corners and go cheap. The Hydra 52 HD's have grown on me. I do like the control-ability and energy efficiency. I will say that I did have better growth when running MH's for all those years but I've dialed the LED's in (PAR) and corals are growing! May add some T5's down the round.
ai1.jpg

I started with a couple clowns and over time slowly added fish. I pretty much ran the tank as a FOWLER for a few months before adding corals. I wanted to let the system get going, PATIENCE! I stayed on top of testing with Red Sea kit's and Hanna checkers, testing every week. After some time I started the Fuge with cheato and rock rubble to get a pod colony going. Once everything was leveling out I started adding corals.

f9.jpg

o2.jpg
Jumping ahead, the tank has been rolling along now for a little over a year and everything is doing great. This was a fun build because I took my time and planned it all out. The one thing I have learned in this hobby over the years is patience. Yes, their a couple things I would change but for the most part it turned out the way I intended. Their has been some additions along the way and like everyone, I want cram a piece of everything in there! Hope you enjoyed my build!
f1.jpg

p5.jpg

a5.jpg
a2.jpg

a1.jpg

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful stand and tank. I really like using coating for boats to finish stands. I built my stand out of red oak and oak plywood, and sealed the entire stand inside and out with a clear poly for boat use. Yours came out very nice. Well done!

And a big welcome to R2R!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have very similar set ups! Well done! What are the screens you used? They look perfect for our style 90!
The tank has been running now for a little over a year and this my build from start to now.

So I got out of the hobby some years back due to moving and now that we are grounded my wife talked me into starting another tank. She now regrets releasing the Kraken!;Vamp

Due to the location of the tank in our new house I was only able to go with a 90G (Aqueon reef ready). So the wheels are turning and this time around I wanted to make a setup that was sleek and easily accessible.

I added a side compartment with access door for all the electronics. Which I would then drill a few holes to run wires and used rubber desk grommets to clean up the wires. Looking back now, I should have added a few more holes to run wires because reaching behind the sump is a little tricky.
d6.jpg

Added vent screens for circulation on each end and in the back.
d3.jpg

P004_121_002_010_LRG.01062018023038.jpg

Got it all painted up. After caulking all the inside gaps I went with a marine topside boat paint from my local marine store. I highly recommend this paint for any saltwater application. It's water proof and easily wipes away water. Just give the paint about a week to fully dry. Also went with all stainless steel hardware including stainless steel piano hinges for the doors. I figured I would pay for it now rather then replacing them over and over. I added door matte material to the bottom to help cancel any vibration noise.

I was going to use a left over trigger sump (crystal 30) I had from an older tank but looking at the water volume to tank size I needed to go a little bigger, bigger is better! I switched it out with a trigger Ruby 36 to add more water volume. Doing so sacrificed space below.

When building the manifold I incorporated inline ports for GFO/Carbon canisters to utilizing the return pump flow. This way I didn't have to use more pumps/power outlets. I went with a Reef Octopus varois8 return pump to ensure enough flow to handle the turn over plus manifold ports. Easier to dial it down than up! This VarioS DC pump is supper quiet. Also for "Oh S*@t" measures, I added a check valve and as many unions as I could. I did run into an issue with where the tank was located. As you can see in the picture below & above, the electrical out let is right behind the tank:eek:. I didn't have options. So to make me sleep better at night I installed a recess wall outlet and cut out a section on the back of the stand for quick access. To go even further, I installed a GFI circuit breaker at the electrical box.

running Apex 2016, 2 Gyre XF 250's, VarioS 8 dc return, Finnex Titanium heater, Reef Octopus 150 skimmer, and newly added DOS. The side electrical compartment has come in handy for easy control access. Used some computer cord management to keep it clean.

For the over flow I wanted to try something different to help reduce noise. So I went with the Maggie Muffler. I figured I could always switch back if not but this thing works awesome. Super quite and allows me easy access to the drain pipe for cleaning.
mag float.jpg

For the aquascape I wanted to go with a pillar or island look to give more open area for flow and coral growth. The rock is BRS Pukani. I thought I would try something different and after reading the reviews on pukani I made sure to cure it a couple months ahead of time. The long cure did help down the road when it came to algae issues that pukani is know for. So far I really have had no issue at all.

Let the cycle begin! I cycled it with the dead shrimp method and after a few weeks I was in business.
Luckily I hung onto some of my equipment from previous tanks and was able to reuse my Reef Octopus classic 150 skimmer. It pays to keep your pumps clean!

Coming from the older generation of MH lighting I was a little skeptical of trying LED's but with MH lighting comes fans and chillers ($$$). I figured I would see what all the crave is about and give LED's a try. I was able to get a used set of AI hydra 52's cheap and yes, they crapped out on me 6 months in;Dead. AI was cool and replaced them with 2 new hydra 52 HD's at a discounted price. That's what I get for trying to cut corners and go cheap. The Hydra 52 HD's have grown on me. I do like the control-ability and energy efficiency. I will say that I did have better growth when running MH's for all those years but I've dialed the LED's in (PAR) and corals are growing! May add some T5's down the round.
ai1.jpg

I started with a couple clowns and over time slowly added fish. I pretty much ran the tank as a FOWLER for a few months before adding corals. I wanted to let the system get going, PATIENCE! I stayed on top of testing with Red Sea kit's and Hanna checkers, testing every week. After some time I started the Fuge with cheato and rock rubble to get a pod colony going. Once everything was leveling out I started adding corals.

o5.jpg

f9.jpg

o2.jpg
Jumping ahead, the tank has been rolling along now for a little over a year and everything is doing great. This was a fun build because I took my time and planned it all out. The one thing I have learned in this hobby over the years is patience. Yes, their a couple things I would change but for the most part it turned out the way I intended. Their has been some additions along the way and like everyone, I want cram a piece of everything in there! Hope you enjoyed my build!
f1.jpg

p5.jpg

a5.jpg
a2.jpg

a1.jpg

t5.jpg

OP
OP
Rhydder_Reef

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful stand and tank. I really like using coating for boats to finish stands. I built my stand out of red oak and oak plywood, and sealed the entire stand inside and out with a clear poly for boat use. Yours came out very nice. Well done!

And a big welcome to R2R!
thanks! Yeah, I truly believe that paint is the way to go. It will make your stand last so much longer. Did you do the clear ploy to give a finished wood look? I bet that's cool looking.

OP
OP
Rhydder_Reef

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have very similar set ups! Well done! What are the screens you used? They look perfect for our style 90!
Man I though I was looking at my tank! lol. nice set up. I like the refinish you did on the stand. came out nice. I like the shelf you added for the doser. I wanted to go that route but lost space with the bigger sump. I was able to mount the DOS up high and found perfect sized containers to fit. The screens are just BRS clear screen and a window kit from Lowes. Supper easy. The only issue I had was finding reverse 90's to cut in around my overflow. I believe their are new screen top kits out now that allow for it but I haven't found the need to upgrade yet.
dos.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, I just noticed my post didn't load some pictures and added extra at the end. How do I fix that?

Looking good and welcome to R2R! Perhaps #mods can help sort out the pictures.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I though I was looking at my tank! lol. nice set up. I like the refinish you did on the stand. came out nice. I like the shelf you added for the doser. I wanted to go that route but lost space with the bigger sump. I was able to mount the DOS up high and found perfect sized containers to fit. The screens are just BRS clear screen and a window kit from Lowes. Supper easy. The only issue I had was finding reverse 90's to cut in around my overflow. I believe their are new screen top kits out now that allow for it but I haven't found the need to upgrade yet.
dos.jpg
Thank you! Also how is your chaeto so green! It looks good! Lol

Yellow Eyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking at picking up the same 90g Aqueon tank soon (hey the wife said I could get a bigger tank if I wanted to...) and I have been toying with the idea of building my own stand. Your stand is basically everything I am envisioning in my head. There are so many threads about the bare bones of the stand, but how did you do the doors?

I was also looking at a similar size sump, do you have enough room in and around it? Anything you would go back and change?

The tank looks awesome!

OP
OP
Rhydder_Reef

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking at picking up the same 90g Aqueon tank soon (hey the wife said I could get a bigger tank if I wanted to...) and I have been toying with the idea of building my own stand. Your stand is basically everything I am envisioning in my head. There are so many threads about the bare bones of the stand, but how did you do the doors?

I was also looking at a similar size sump, do you have enough room in and around it? Anything you would go back and change?

The tank looks awesome!
Thanks!
If the wife said go bigger than I advise to do so. She can regret it later, lol! I'll have to look and see if I took more detailed pictures when building it. I went with a bigger sump for more water volume and safety in case of back siphon (even with check valve). It is a little cramped but I made that stand counter height so I have room to mount things up. I would change the cord hole though, I put one in the back/bottom coming out of the side compartment and it's a pain to get to. I should have made that bigger. The doors are trimmed out with 1/2" or 3/4" trim and hung with stainless steel piano hinges. I'll look later and see if I have more pics for you.

OP
OP
Rhydder_Reef

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
If the wife said go bigger than I advise to do so. She can regret it later, lol! I'll have to look and see if I took more detailed pictures when building it. I went with a bigger sump for more water volume and safety in case of back siphon (even with check valve). It is a little cramped but I made that stand counter height so I have room to mount things up. I would change the cord hole though, I put one in the back/bottom coming out of the side compartment and it's a pain to get to. I should have made that bigger. The doors are trimmed out with 1/2" or 3/4" trim and hung with stainless steel piano hinges. I'll look later and see if I have more pics for you.[/QUOTE
Well I wasn't able to find any other pictures. Might have been lost with old phone, sorry! Feel free to ask any question on the build if you choose to go a similar route or any route. What helped me the most was writing down all the equipment I will use and add on later down the road +. That way I could kind of in-vision the lay out of it. Again, feel free to ask me anything, glad to help!

OP
OP
Rhydder_Reef

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post up some pics and update now that the tank is just hitting the 2 year mark. Everything is doing great with just a couple hick up's along the way (hair algae, fish jump) but all is under control. Corals are growing and coloring up nicely. Everything is running stable with little fluctuation (#'s below) . Will have to say that dosing amino acids has helped in coral growth and color along with reef nutrition. I have just added the Aquatic life DX18 dimmable T5 light fixture to get full coverage of tank. Slowly acclimating them to my LED schedule but so far so good. Other than that, I haven't really changed anything. Just letting the tank do it's thing. Stick to a water change scheduled, keep things clean, test, and let nature take it's course.
8 ALK
445 CAL
MAG 1350
Nitrate 0.25 ish
Phos .03

P3.jpg
P2.jpg
P6.jpg
P8.jpg

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post up some pics and update now that the tank is just hitting the 2 year mark. Everything is doing great with just a couple hick up's along the way (hair algae, fish jump) but all is under control. Corals are growing and coloring up nicely.

I can't wait to be there again! But it will take time...lots of time! Beautiful tank.

OP
OP
Rhydder_Reef

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to be there again! But it will take time...lots of time! Beautiful tank.
Thanks!
Hang in there with your tank. Keep up with water changes and testing. This hobby is a balancing act. With the good comes the bad and getting through it only makes you a better reefer.
If I may suggest, I would rework your aquascape with more gaps in between the rocks. I have had old tanks with the "rock wall" aquascape and found that a lot of detris gets pilled up only causing problems. Either add a power head behind it or allow room for more water flow. Just my $.02.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Hang in there with your tank. Keep up with water changes and testing. This hobby is a balancing act. With the good comes the bad and getting through it only makes you a better reefer.
If I may suggest, I would rework your aquascape with more gaps in between the rocks. I have had old tanks with the "rock wall" aquascape and found that a lot of detris gets pilled up only causing problems. Either add a power head behind it or allow room for more water flow. Just my $.02.

I appreciate your 2 cents! After I get rid of this horrible hair algae, I will definitely be doing some aquascaping.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand looked like a sauna before you painted it with that glass door an all, lol.

You're getting great growth in your first year(ish).

I'm hoping my rock anemones get that big. Mine sort of stopped growing at the 2.5" in size. I used to have a big one like that, so maybe there is still hope!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back