My 250 Gallon DD Aquarium build

Zombie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 19, 2011
Messages
177
Reaction score
1
Location
--
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just ordered my deep dimension 250 gallon tank. Today I started plumbing the sumps that are going to be in the basement under the stairs. Eventually I will build them in a cabinet and finish that part of the basement. I will try to get pictures tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
We need some pics!
 
I had a minor setback.
I broke one of my sumps and you can't drill new tanks.:cry:
 
Last edited:
The tank that broke had been broken before and I patched it with glass in three places. It was all good until it cracked at the bulkhead. At that point I didn't feel like replacing or covering the panel with glass and drilling another hole.

I got a 150 gallon stock tank now and redesigned the system to have a 30 long as a refugium.
The stock tank is plumbed into a old 75 gallon tank.

I am going to use the 40 breeder and part of the stock tank to Aquaculture coral.
 
Last edited:
Here is a pick before the tank on the right broke.
zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture25422-2012-02-15-13-10-05.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here is some new pictures of the basement.

Front side of the counter top where the frag tank is.

zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture25472-2012-02-23-18-47-09.jpg



Rear of the counter top with the 150 gallon sump/frag grow out.
The refugium will be the long tank against the wall.


zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture25471-2012-02-23-18-46-46.jpg



The white container is mt DIY Kalk reactor hooked up to a 3 gpd dosing pump. All evaporated water will be replenished with lime water.

zombie-albums-my-120g-reef-picture25437-new-pic.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have a water change valve that connects to a utility sink. This trash can mixes and pumps water into the 150 gallon stock tank. To do a water change all I have to do is turn two valves.

zombie-albums-my-120g-reef-picture25427-2012-02-22-21-55-05.jpg
 
I broke down the old tank and set up the new tank today. This is it so far
Lighting in this picture is three ReefBrite fixtures. I am also running two 400 watt halides (Not on in the picture)

zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture25831-fts.jpg


zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture25832-2012-03-01-21-32-43.jpg


zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture25833-room-1.jpg
 
Looking good. I so envy people with basements.
 
Thanks

I just added a 60 gallon- 48 x 24 x 12 H Frag tank to the system. I am done finally!!!:bigsmile:
 
I lost some Acroporas in the move.
These are pictures of how the system is set up now.

zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture26660-fts.jpg


zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture26663-filter.jpg


zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture26661-frag-tank.jpg


zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture26662-frag-tank2.jpg


zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture26665-2012-03-24-17-03-49.jpg
 
New brighter lights for the refugium.

zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture27039-finished-refugium-1.jpg


DIY filter bag holder from a bucket.

zombie-albums-my-250-build-picture26674-diy-filter-bag-holder.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new