My 270g progression journal

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love the aquascape, I think the patch reef style that is in tread right now is boring and unimaginative. What you have is very cool and realistic to what one might find if they were diving on a reef. Very very cool set up! I am absolutely subscribing to this thread. Can't wait to see when those frags grow and fill out!

One question, how long has the scoly been elevated like that? Does it enjoy?

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Absolutely love the aquascape, I think the patch reef style that is in tread right now is boring and unimaginative. What you have is very cool and realistic to what one might find if they were diving on a reef. Very very cool set up! I am absolutely subscribing to this thread. Can't wait to see when those frags grow and fill out!

One question, how long has the scoly been elevated like that? Does it enjoy?

Thanks I tried to aquascape with that in mind. I also wanted to maximize swimming space for my tangs and angel around and inside the rock work. This is how it looked like about 4 months ago.

IMG_3713.jpg

Left side
IMG_3715.jpg

Middle
IMG_3716.jpg

Right side
IMG_3714.jpg

At 1st i liked this aquascape but then I decided to change it up and open it up a bit. I took out about 30-40lbs of rock. I have about 180-200lbs of rock in there now. What do you think of the change?

About the scoly I use to have it on the sand but it didn't like it for some reason so I put it up there and its been there for a month now and seems much happier.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the scoly I use to have it on the sand but it didn't like it for some reason so I put it up there and its been there for a month now and seems much happier.
did you glue it on the rock or just stuck it in a crevice to make it secure?

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you glue it on the rock or just stuck it in a crevice to make it secure?

No it isn't glued it the rock. It is just placed on a secure flat surface. It seems to like the flow it's getting up there.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't glued it the rock. It is just placed on a secure flat surface. It seems to like the flow it's getting up there.
cool... thanks.... the reason I asked is because I also plan on incorporating my scollies on the rockwork somehow... :)

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem.... I want to get some more scolys down the road $$$$$. I will mount them on the rock work some how as well.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I really like this feature too. It does seem that everyone just puts them in the sand, its nice to see a creative placement. I also like the branch rock. Alot of times people will use it and it looks out of place and not natural. In this case it looks like a real reef that maybe existed years ago and a storm came by and destroyed it. And now the corals are all starting to rebuild and grow.
Very nice.

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. How do you keep it so clean looking? Dosing anything?

Thanks Znut.... I dose vodka and that is about it right now. I'm going to start dosing MB7 along with vodka starting next weekend. As far as keeping it clean. I just clean my glass once a week or so and I'm sure my 3 tangs keep the rockwork nice and clean from any algea. I don't do too much to the tank. The system takes care of it self for the most part.

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year Folks. Another month has passed and a new year has started!! So that means another update on my 270g! Lots of pics of nothing really. Enjoy!
IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some random pics of the residence from today also.

IMG_4249-1.jpg

IMG_4252.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!! I can't wait for all my SPS to fill in!!

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...your tank is very nice now...will be truly special once the SPS fills in. I absolutely love all the fish you keep in that system. They add their own color to the tank, and I think that's really really cool.

amay121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup, you'll really see the growth in another year or so. Keep the journal updated. :)

OP
OP
R

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...your tank is very nice now...will be truly special once the SPS fills in. I absolutely love all the fish you keep in that system. They add their own color to the tank, and I think that's really really cool.

thanks! I can't wait to see how all those SPS will look like in there a year from now. I love the fish too but the Majestic Angel will have to go. He/dhe does not like new corals especially LPS. He danm nearly ate all of my Platygyra brain I put in last week.

Great setup, you'll really see the growth in another year or so. Keep the journal updated. :)

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words! I am planniing on updating this monthly but with the new baby coming. I can't say I will have the time. I will try though.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the updated shots, it is really coming along nicely. I really like that setosa, it sure does glow!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back